Headlight Bezel Ring modification?

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
So, if you are a headlight bezel ring clip to retain guy....you either have had one fall off already or will have one. I am now in the first group.

I would like to do the screw to retain modification to both before repair and repaint.

Where do I get the parts and modification directions?

PITT40

Gold forum user
My car had those chrome MkII bezels. They simply drilled a small hole into the clips. The clips line up with where the factory holes were drilled in the bezel.

If there is a better solution, I am curious too.

So, if you are a headlight bezel ring clip to retain guy....you either have had one fall off already or will have one. I am now in the first group.

I would like to do the screw to retain modification to both before repair and repaint.

Warren

Gold forum user
Clips

Guys the little clips are mentioned in a recent thread like 6 bucks will get you two. Don't wait till you are going 90 like I did and change lanes and then the vibration from the Bots dots rattle off a perfectly good but clip on ring on the freeway. What a bummer watching it smack a following car.......

Worse case the old rivets remain with a screw in the middle.

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Pop Tarts

I had one pop off in the shop, so they don't give me much confidence of staying on while driving. Until I have a more elegant solution, I installed a small clear zip tie around the bottom of the bezel and attached to the headlight bucket. That keeps the bottom from popping out, and if it does pop off, at least it'll still be attached to the car. Converting to screws seems like a good idea - right before I paint the Tiger next time.
Bob K.
B9471705

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Good Idea, BUT

Point #1: SS has the screw clips, but not the chrome blade/domed screw.
Point #2: Clips allowed to flex in the bucket attachment location will continue to be a PITA no matter what fastening system you chose.
Point #3: Getting the beveled screw hole in the correct spot of the rims is another PITA.

Roadpir8

Bronze forum user
I joined the club of having my headlight bezel fall off and had the joy of running it over myself!!!

Does anyone have pictures of the retaining screw modifications? Or how to properly install the clips from Sunbeam Specialties?

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Guys the little clips are mentioned in a recent thread like 6 bucks will get you two. Don't wait till you are going 90 like I did and change lanes and then the vibration from the Bots dots rattle off a perfectly good but clip on ring on the freeway. What a bummer watching it smack a following car.......

Worse case the old rivets remain with a screw in the middle.
Did you stop to talk to the affected following car or just gas it and run? haha

Warren

Gold forum user
Bumper sticker

Beware of falling parts ;)

The little Sunbeam Specialties clips just hook on the head light housing and screw on. I drilled out the old riveted clip on the head light ring used epoxy filler the skim coat Bondo. Getting the new screw in right place isn't too bad.
Please use the measure at least twice and drill once :
Sorry no pictures it's pretty straight forward, the clips from S.S. are held in place with screw. The NOS bezels I have had are slot head with oval head.

Last edited:

dstephns

Gold forum user
CAT Member
When I bought my Tiger the headlight eyebrows were barely hanging on and they were the screw type or at least modified to be that way. I was always worried that they would fly off if I hit a bump or pothole. Fortunately, they haven't ....yet. LOL! I did purchase new clips from sunbeam Specialties and when I had my car repainted I bought an extra pair of eyebrows and had them painted too in case the worst happens. Actually, with the new clips they seem to be doing pretty good so far. I probably just jinxed myself though. LOL!
Dave

JONHAN

Bronze forum user
bezel

One thing to keep in mind when installing the rims is to set the rim flush against the fender but with the peak of the rim turned so that you can slide the retaining pieces in place over the clips at the top without bending or pulling them out. If you have the clip for a screw, use a small punch or screwdriver to line up the rim and clip. In other words don't hang the rim over these clips and then force the bottom in place. Everything gets bent and results in loose fit. You make it easier for the rim to fall off

Roadpir8

Bronze forum user
Here are pictures with yellow arrows...not sure where the new clip is supposed to attach... am I supposed to remove that riveted spring clip thingy from the inside of my bezel?
Looks like I have a hole drilled in the center between the rivets already... I'm not sure how the clip is supposed to attach to the headlight...
any help, with photos would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Bottom -arrow.jpg
    Bottom -arrow.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 148
  • Bezel bottom.jpg
    Bezel bottom.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 165
  • bezel inside.jpg
    bezel inside.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 148

JONHAN

Bronze forum user
bezel

The easiest solution is to buy new headlight buckets that already have the clip for the screw. Installation is easy. While you're at it you can replace the gasket. The buckets are available from all the usual suppliers.

Warren

Gold forum user
Spainin

I can't seem to splain it without looking at your pictures but I'll try.

The new clip little holes hook on to two little prongs .

That's what I remember I have a box o buckets try to snap a few pictures today or this weekend.

Warren

Gold forum user
Long time

Remove the old clip by unfolding the little tabs. The new screw type clip has small tabs that go into the little 3/16" holes. I think I crimped them tighter and cleaned and put a dab of epoxy. I also use the same JB weld to fill old riveted holes thend a little Bondo. I marked the position of the screw hole with two pieces of blue tape to mark outside edges of the screw. Use the smallest pilot drill and a small ruler to shoot for the center of the screw hole in your new clip. Go slow and the soft zinc bezels drill easily.
My spare buckets look just like your pictures. I had to go look at mine just to stir the grey matter and remember.

Been trying to put that whole thing out of my mind... Black car ended up with chrome rings then rattle canned a set of MK2 rings then finally had a set and my hood and my hardtop resprayed kind of a snowball effect but with a rolling ring.

Roadpir8

Bronze forum user
I think part of the problem is I don't know where the I am supposed to drill the hole in the bezel, is it coming up from the bottom where my bezel already has a hole?
0AmcHI3tcmEmX18bWolAPCZf4YGo9FPTZxBMe0JWbtc-taco5QCPLCR6oBNRTr3fDZOGDSgt8ycj7xncFi7Ku_hS7EG8y59Y8YNo6bxvYWOrFi9O97cxNNQXmSTSNkHCFog4GaFiQ-39EajF54DdB0XaEJ9L1fMatEIiiGrYLKICo4uVd_MYkTezgVVU0Au_QnTv4mZNl6MeghQwqTJ2K5A0D97PbZs820FW-nktMIIO13yBAztB3FjRsjS0WUXou6QNOmyMxqrI_yDtgTiPHRLAykxgREsJWSKZqkYHZHaKe50jleOdCfPpstJcEibdqLP8ANAB5Su49qY_1FyTvKWnIm-w9XLdz2n6xhppLpXFUKcnq-Rq_OnQ5PnF9wWN43mLf-IKkFh_wKiL_VrS7a_iZq-UrX5YZ8wVRH0I6WOS2yX-2JtZMQ0syjXuxe3ay8I-3bb9nqBFdbc7Zz8rD2h9YfdC8fo2H23Yu98KeC4ypM8Xoow3HUguisLNOgfCgf6fZcI4_oQugHnAc8dDgx-qz_sBWXqsqLITWeSPSi8tiNa3e0TqB95EgFXwUvPVOE__4rarJlGLilT1sCA6YrqM-3QkFkwEXrcYSfHfcaFPjwX1FE8ihTqbw13BZ2y5FREKTn_S4QJ0lEVMIiMmxjWVSSGO9r_2yI3GnpQuN-GqaW9IxrDZ1RxX1X-2wQKX=w824-h800-l75-ft

Do I remove the tab that is riveted on the bezel and use the hole it is covering?
1CaUvCPc8HgSOzI9VwYXfDTLUfNEmEv7TVcEgcR5Lr--iFzDbVe-AfsdMUXCRNariOraNffeCLXJIefT0WbmHbRUuGeHqaput7HYuHV7YPOVVd0OcH2dzTdMpV4CejeEZm0VsPJJqKM5AFdRBJ1FawQUOMwEpk35GaC6GHGhJGeQFdbGKsTFYCGNsm0s3kAS5-PwprgifmgQOOZ2RXpc293r023BCkl6z401vdc5Ihol17a1wVs8PclQQOCfmc1RfsdwxjbzDoqugiLfiANKWd0px2DU1WI36UbIri_znGbEDYVwuHCbjVfSdBhEvqXQ4PwGgkWy9wp45oqjx56h8Ly_e8IjNSqt-DSouz7R6KXoVqNVwn8jY3qJfUVXYmQrOe5u-hPGDLhFR91V4nwmWtvDDXzisWQYq8YjjOFOYSqbL_yc1wa2jN3FKakuQZBwGCSvO3eLG26WsGc0Q1VdFdBy0EHyfoT204DJMCWZPFvc8a6jToMGZvY27rrxyGadSD6znWIfRsY2zuXT9IPSpZOL8ZQPjIKM_ADsBZPVoA72NVXDGCokx7Xpi3-r-2RVpYKsdPvP3IAen7ZDFmHsPpsAxUkXI0D-hrjuCBzvLCmEPf30RWWmjku4nMjHmP12BF-vua7bcJrLNWnB7WlZthNXhADW6U8P63DgxeD0G7QhO5Bog6tE3lqZuZvJFHQ=w824-h718-l75-ft

Is this correct placement of the tab on the bucket? Do you bend tab up, red arrow?

Roadpir8

Bronze forum user
bezel saga continued...

So I installed the clip from Sunbeam Specialties where the old spring clip was on the light bucket. Hooks, yellow arrows, come through from behind. I then bent the tab, red arrow, up approx 90-100 degrees up. PICTURE A

Here is the bezel on the car, no bulb, before I removed the clip from the bezel. The red arrow is where the hole is on my bezel. Note how I bent the new clip from Sunbeam Specialties up, yellow arrow, trying to make it parallel with the inside surface of the bezel. PICTURE B

Picture of the existing hole on my bezel that was under the clip. The ruler is as flush as possible against the bezel. The hole is centered between 6/16 and 7/16 of an inch from the bottom. PICTURE C

The hole lined up with the clip pretty well, I left some play in the clip on the bucket so I had wiggle room. The hole that I had on my bezel was sunk so the screw I got from the hardware store ended up fairly flush. PICTURE D

Finished! I am gonna test it and see if I can shake it loose before I repair and repaint it. Hope my saga can make it easier for others!!!

Attachments

• light bucket with clip.jpg
    light bucket with clip.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 145
  • bezel installed screw no headlight.jpg
    bezel installed screw no headlight.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Bezel bottom hole measurement.jpg
    Bezel bottom hole measurement.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 140
  • bezel installed screw pic.jpg
    bezel installed screw pic.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 129
  • bezel finished.jpg
    bezel finished.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Roadpir8

Bronze forum user
bezel chronicles continued...

So I decided to test my work on an older more banged up bezel I acquired on eBay before I secure my right side bezel. Practice makes perfect.

First a picture of how the bezel looks installed without the headlamp so you can see how the screw comes up into the tab, I forgot to post this one before. Attached Photo A.

Next an easier way to measure for the placement of the hole. After drilling out the rivets and removing the clip, I found a thicker portion of the bezel centered between the rivet holes. On the inside it is flat so its easier to press a ruler against it and get an accurate measurement. The hole is centered 3/8" from the edge of the bezel. Attached Photo B.

I drilled the hole and created a slight counter sink using a larger bit. CAUTION the bezel is very soft you have to very cautious not to drill right through!! Or just skip this. Attached Photo C.

Installed bezel with no headlamp so you can see the clip and screw. Attached Photo D.

Attachments

• Bezel mounted no headlamp.jpg
    Bezel mounted no headlamp.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Test Bezel inside measurement.jpg
    Test Bezel inside measurement.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 136
  • Test bezel hole.jpg
    Test bezel hole.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Test bezel installed.jpg
    Test bezel installed.jpg