GT40P Heads.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
when you are finished, keep a copy, I am accross in the big island and have alloy heads to fit to my 260. would be nice to have a set of suitable headers.

The CAT, Sunbeam specialties and 1 other brand of headers all fit the tiger and alloy heads.. IIRC Mal is using the cast iron GT40 heads.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
CAT headers fit great -

001-4.jpg

Here is how you do it. Put check in mail, open box when they arrive, install on engine......done.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
The CAT, Sunbeam specialties and 1 other brand of headers all fit the tiger and alloy heads.. IIRC Mal is using the cast iron GT40 heads.
Yesterday 11:48 PM

Michael, they are GT40P heads. The GT40 heads had the same plug angle as the earlier heads. The GT40P heads had the revised plug angle for better combustion, which causes the problems with headers. Also the exhaust port is larger and angles down more than the 289 heads I have.

Duke mk1a,
the pleats in your air filter are not straight :D;)

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Interesting oil filter adapter positioning. I have not seen it done that way before.

Just a bystander question about the stock starter. Will you be able to get it out fairly easily after the motor is in the car? In the picture it looks very close to the pipes and also possibly subject heat soak issues. I had headers on my 260 for many years. Even with a heat shield blanket it would not always start (turn over) right away after the motor was good and hot. Had to replace the starter numerous times over the years, sometimes just to replace the bendix drive. Have you considered one of the smaller, gear reduction starters if that would make a difference removal and heat soak wise? Might need the additional power anyway with a high compression motor. Again, just some friendly bystander thoughts.

Regardless, looks like you are doing some major pioneering, and I am sure rewarding work here!

Gene

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Interesting oil filter adapter positioning. I have not seen it done that way before.

Just a bystander question about the stock starter. Will you be able to get it out fairly easily after the motor is in the car? In the picture it looks very close to the pipes and also possibly subject heat soak issues. I had headers on my 260 for many years. Even with a heat shield blanket it would not always start (turn over) right away after the motor was good and hot. Had to replace the starter numerous times over the years, sometimes just to replace the bendix drive. Have you considered one of the smaller, gear reduction starters if that would make a difference removal and heat soak wise? Might need the additional power anyway with a high compression motor. Again, just some friendly bystander thoughts.

Regardless, looks like you are doing some major pioneering, and I am sure rewarding work here!

Gene

Gene,

I can create more room for the starter. I have run out of bends to make that tube sit closer to the others. I have no idea of the condition of the starter but it was OK on the 260. If it checks out OK when I get it checked over I will run with it and see how it goes. If it needs replacement then I will go for a mini starter.

The 90deg adapter will not work as the chassis will be in the way. I just wanted something there to take up the space I need for the header tube. I will have to do a remote filter. I think I will mount it to the head.

You are allways welcome with your thoughts.

Cheers Mal.

chirodoc

Gold forum user
Remote filter

STOA through Frey racing 1n the 70s had a remote filter mounted in the inside fenderwell behind the headlight bucket. It got the filter outside the engine compartment and made it easier(more room) to plumb an oil cooler as desired. Also much easier to change the filter without an oily mess.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
STOA through Frey racing 1n the 70s had a remote filter mounted in the inside fenderwell behind the headlight bucket. It got the filter outside the engine compartment and made it easier(more room) to plumb an oil cooler as desired. Also much easier to change the filter without an oily mess.

This was on my car when I got it... the oil line runs from there.. through a thermostat and into a cooler that hangs in front of the lower part of the rad...

Jim
B382000446

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I relocated mine to the same location and moved the coil into the space vacated by the remote filter. I didn't cut any holes to route the oil lines- I followed the valence and ran them under the radiator, between the crossmember and the steering rack.

34osg93.jpg

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Thanks for the ideas on the filter relocation guys. I still think I would rather have it in the engine bay. I will make my mind up when the engine is back in the car.

No one has said or noticed the steering rack.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Only 1/2 blind

"No one has said or noticed the steering rack.[/QUOTE]

I did . . . . . . .

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
"No one has said or noticed the steering rack.

I did . . . . . . .[/QUOTE]

Me, too ;) ... shortened and 'adapted' stock tie rods and MGB arms/ stock rack??

I've made many similar adapters like you have to join the tie rod end to the tie rod but always machined them out of a single piece of hex steel. I thought about welding but many 'experts' put the fear of god into me about anything welded in the steering linkage... consequences if they fail can be harsh at best !

Jim
B382000446

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
I did . . . . . . .

Me, too ;) ... shortened and 'adapted' stock tie rods and MGB arms/ stock rack??

I've made many similar adapters like you have to join the tie rod end to the tie rod but always machined them out of a single piece of hex steel. I thought about welding but many 'experts' put the fear of god into me about anything welded in the steering linkage... consequences if they fail can be harsh at best !

Jim
B382000446[/QUOTE]

The Tiger rack case has a Mortris Oxford inner rack. The Oford rack measures up the same as a Midget rack but is from a rear stear car. I was going to do the midget rack conversion but I could not find a rack. I did not want to import what could be a piece of junk so I came up with the idea of using oxford rack inner in the Tiger case. The oxford rack needed to be turnred down a little to the Tigers rack dia. A new pinion was cut to match. Now I have, what should be the same as the midget conversion but bolts back in place as original. The welded extensions are only tempory untill I get some machined up the correct size. Gives me a starting point and manoverability of the car during assembly. They will never see the road. Here in NZ, welding on steering parts is a big no no.
Cheers

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Frey remote filter kit

I also bought the Frey remote oil kit to move the oil filter to the left front fender well just forward of the wheel. It really worked well and I had no problems in several years operation. I plan on reinstalling it during the restoration. It moves some heat to outside the engine compartment as well as freeing up some airflow space. And yes, it is very easy and clean when changing the filter.