Location of negative battery cable attachment

dstephns

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'm almost ashamed to ask this question but I had a non stock battery platform made for my '66 mk1A. I've decided to go back to the original but the guys who made the new platform connected the battery ground to the back welded eyelet for the for the original battery retaining rod. Where is the correct location where that cable should be attached for proper ground. For the life of me I can't remember. I've looked at photos but the battery is always in way.:confused:
Dave

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dave, I've had this Tiger 30 years, and never had to look at that end of the ground cable for the battery, so I took the side panel off to take a peek. I can't say for sure this is stock. On my second owner Tiger that I had in 1970, I don't remember what it was bolted to. Maybe someone else can confirm- this is behind the passenger side gas tank where a strut is mounted. No corrosion was found, thankfully! Kirk

2wd3war.jpg

dstephns

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dave, I've had this Tiger 30 years, and never had to look at that end of the ground cable for the battery, so I took the side panel off to take a peek. I can't say for sure this is stock. On my second owner Tiger that I had in 1970, I don't remember what it was bolted to. Maybe someone else can confirm- this is behind the passenger side gas tank where a strut is mounted. No corrosion was found, thankfully! Kirk

2wd3war.jpg

Kirk,
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to check out your photo and see.
Thanks again
Dave

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
NOPE !

At the rear of the bulkhead and directly below the small fuel pump vent tube hole is a 5/16" hole in front of and at the bottom of the battery where the stock ground line is bolted. Amen

dstephns

Gold forum user
CAT Member
At the rear of the bulkhead and directly below the small fuel pump vent tube hole is a 5/16" hole in front of and at the bottom of the battery where the stock ground line is bolted. Amen

Yup, I've got the 5/16" hole. Thanks to both for helping to answer my question.
Dave

Warren

Gold forum user
Proper cable

Looks like a steel braid woven round like those old Chinese finger puzzles . Original ones are seen floating around eBay, and fellow hobby producer makes or has them made,as I recall they sell for 100 bucks.
I know him through A.C. filter housing sales and out of eBay transactions. Like most guys near my age. It's okay to Stick it to the Man, until we become the man:)
His name is Sean aka 509Austinhealer on ePay as I recall. He is a Tiger owner and is another retired or quasi retired fellow doing restoration in the Pacific Northwest. I am not affiliated with him. Just because some don't become members or join into the hobby or pro vendor section doesn't mean they are not guys I'd like to support. I offered him white pages spot but he is hearing impaired and it's not a big enough part of his life to market.

Last edited:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A Better Connection ?

Yup, I've got the 5/16" hole. Thanks to both for helping to answer my question.
Dave

During restorations, I quite often weld a grade #8 nut on the backside of the hole which improves conductivity. Just remember to use a brass washer and slime when you bolt the ground in.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
During restorations, I quite often weld a grade #8 nut on the backside of the hole which improves conductivity. Just remember to use a brass washer and slime when you bolt the ground in.

Randy,
Is the “slime” a conductive grease or just anti-seize?
Thanks! -Kevin