2012 Geelong revival

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This weekend marked the return of the Geelong Speed trials, a 1/4 mile beachfront sprint modeled on the Brighton Speed trials in the UK. the original Geelong event was held in 1956 and then restarted in 1978 when it ran annually till 2003.

This year marked the return, the weather was a mix of very light showers, overcast and sunshine, but there was a decent turnout of spectators and they also did the Goowood revival style side events of period fashion and stalls etc...

There were a few sunbeams on display in the various areas (3 x tigers, 2 x alpines, and and 2 x marque alpines) and a Tiger MKI in the 1/4 sprints. The Tiger was listed as runnig a 5.1 motor, but actually has a 5.7 alloy head stroker.. it ran somewhat disappointing times in the high 14's.

anyway, some pics of the event:

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nice Photos

Nice photos and some very nice cars. Looks like there was a pretty good turnout. Thanks for sharing with us!

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Great pics. Wide variety, looks like there was almost one of everything. Great shot of your car with similar colored clouds in background.

Thanks for time taking and sharing.

aussie rob

Bronze forum user
A few corrections...

Hi guys,

Attached is part of a document to correct some missing information regarding the apparent disappointing effort by the Mk I Tiger at the Geelong sprints... I would say a 13 second quarter mile was very respectable in anyones eye's. Not bad when you look at what the Tiger was up against.

Read it here for yourself (quote taken from the Sunbeam & Talbot Owners Club Newletter):
The Geelong Sprints which had been running for many years since 1958, was resurrected by Just Cars Magazine, and other sponsors, and saw 134 Historic Race & Sports Cars entered on the Sunday.

Terry's Sunbeam Tiger clocked 13.00 secs at a terminal speed of approx. 122mph to cover the standing quarter mile and take out the over 2000cc Production Sports Car Trophy.

The Tiger finished outright 5th fastest on the day.

Cars that finished above it and elapsed times were:

1. Cheetah MK8 Race Car ... 12.5 secs
2. Chevrolet Camaro Race Car ... 12.9 secs
3. Carter Corvette Special Race Car ...12.9 secs
4. De Tomaso Pantera ... 12.9 secs
5. Sunbeam Tiger Road Car ... 13.00 secs

Thanks, Rob.

tiger260

Gold forum user
Some real exotics turned up I see.

Nice to see the birdcage Mazza (another for my lottery list).

What's the story behind the Auto Union recreation?