Headlight Bezel Ring modification?

Roadpir8

Bronze forum user
my bezel saga... continued

Because of some corrosion, damaged headlamp adjusters and damaged edges where bezel hangs, I decided to replace my headlamp assemblies. I purchased a set from Sunbeam Specialties. They come already mounted with a clip for the screw retention, however as you can see in photo A it is a smaller hole so I had to get smaller diameter screws, #6 machine screws vs #8.

Also the hole seemed closer to the bucket then how the other clip ended up, so I drilled my hole at 5/16" from the inside edge instead of 3/8"(see prior post). It still didn't line up perfectly but I didn't want to have the hole closer to the edge for fear of weakening the bezel.

And more importantly I bought a drill press. Although I had successfully done a test bezel (see prior post) with a handheld drill, I did not want to chance drilling my one good bezel with a hand drill. All my neighbors including the contractor didn't have a drill press!!! I need new neighbors. Luckily I was able to score a decent one off of Craigslist for $40. It was SOOOOO much easier to drill out the rivets and drill the hole.

So I finally have both bezels securely attached to my car!!!

Attachments

• clip comparison.jpg
    clip comparison.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 105
  • drill press.jpg
    drill press.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 91
  • bezels mounted.jpg
    bezels mounted.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 103