Black Paint

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
I am repainting the trunk area , and the engine bay this winter , looking at this picture and Michael-King comment , should the inner grill area be painted Satin Black on My MKII .

Thanks

Gilles Boudrias

Attachments

• bureau.jpg
    bureau.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 90

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes

Gilles,

When I got my MkII in 1970, it had the area inside the grill painted black. I believe the dividing line is covered by the upper grill finishing molding and the lower grill finishing molding. When Dale restored the car, he painted in that area as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0440A.jpg
    IMG_0440A.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 102

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There was also the same black painted in the rain channels of the bosy under the screen pillar that the door closes over. Most people do not know about that area or choose to leave it off during restoration.

JONHAN

Bronze forum user
paint

There was also the same black painted in the rain channels of the bosy under the screen pillar that the door closes over. Most people do not know about that area or choose to leave it off during restoration.

Wonder what their reason was for painting the rain channel? Did they paint the channel and grill area on a black car?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Wonder what their reason was for painting the rain channel? Did they paint the channel and grill area on a black car?

The rain chanel is painted but it stops about 5mm short of the top surace of the panel. Its a clean neat line so per the grill area would have had a masking stencil.

Perhaps it was to strengthen the appearance of the shadow line?