Is it real?

catcollector

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Hello everyone,

New to the forum. Looking for help.

I looked at a claimed 1967 tiger yesterday, Drove a long way to find the car has no vin/body plate,

The owner has owned the car since 1980, saw pictures of it in its prime, looked good.

Missing lots of definitive things that I can see. Now granted I am new to the tigers but have restored many other cars in the past,

He does have a title with a vin C50E94250. Says he got it thru the highway patrol checking the car out years ago.

It has small rear wheel flares, battery box behind passenger seat? a 289 with 302 heads.

He says several people have looked at it over the years and claim some kind of special order something something

I feel it is probably a salvaged or rebuilt car just not sure.

I have a few pictures not much, before I go any further looking for any thoughts on where to go from here.

It needs plenty of work, the car is several hours from me so cant go back unless it s worth it.

Any help for a new guy appreciated

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A tiger never had a battery box.. ever! Unless an owner fittefone.. Nor its a rebidy or gas an alpine rear clip... And that far back means one hell of a hit! Vin might be state assigned but what was vin and JAL ? How is exhaust routed with battery box? How is spare mounted in the boot? What do welds look like of the inner fender braces... There are flags going up in this one.. Pics would help

Warren

Gold forum user
Just it?

I find it totally implausible that a Highway patrol used a partial Ford part number as a vin number.

It is the nature of the forum to help the new guys with their homework and believe me I have gotten lots of help.

Make our teaching job easier and put some details into your profile join the club find a local event and attend it. Or meet up with one of us at a event.

I have seen a battery box on a Tiger and a battery box/fuel pump top lid on a MK2, but that car had a back 1/2 from a Alpine

Guys have had their way with these cars and it's not all good.

mwood

Gold forum user
The number on the registration is for the intake manifold ('65 4V). I'd guess the car fell out of the system and was re-registered. In CA, you fill out paperwork and then have a suitable authority, which could include a police officer, verify the ID. So, someone used the most visible number on the engine as the "engine ID" and that was what showed up as the VIN.

Without pictures and more detail, I'm not too sure how much help anyone can give, as far as any certainty around what you're looking at...

catcollector

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Sorry,

It is listed on Knoxville Craigslist.

The alpine has a blown motor, He was asking less before. I think he is convinced its a real tiger, Im just not too sure. It would be a ok 'tribute' I guess. Im looking for a well documented real tiger. It does need a lot of work, rusty floor boards, lots of 'worked on by my teenage son' stories

just an fyi for anybody who may be interested

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
qptbg-4612340996@sale.craigslist.org

He just listed them on craigslist

(to be) catcollector... welcome...

However, the link you shared simply is the seller's email address. With what has been provided so far, I'd doubt many here will be mailing it, but...

it may too prevent you from making a buy. I'd delete your message content and.. right click the craigslist pics, copy to desktop and upload here for review. just my 0.02...

GL,
DD

catcollector

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Yes, to be a cat collector...I hope.

I do own several gtos from the 60's also lovingly referred to as tigers, hence my chosen name.

I am presently thinking about selling 1 or 2 of my other muscle cars and that has driven me here to look for knowledge and advice on Sunbeam Tigers.

I definitely don't buy anything without knowing 100% what I'm getting into.

These just don't fit what I'm looking for.

That is why I came to this forum and will also join the cat club. Hopefully I will be able to add a nice sunbeam to my collection before they get too out of control as far as pricing goes. I prefer to drive my cars and enjoy them not into concourse restorations.

Thanks for the replies and look forward to asking many more annoying questions,

catcollector

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Well I see there are a bunch of views but no one willing to make a educated guess on the validity of the car?

I meet with the owner and can pass on other info if anyone is interested.

I can say he has increased his price. He also has owned the cars since 1980.

NO grill, no wheel well chrome, battery box behind passenger seat, rear wheel flares.

lots of different parts from multiple year cars, heads from 64, 65 mostly handles, some trim,

most needing repair or restoration.

The car never had an egg crate grill or wheel well chrome.

He said the front end looked just like the alpine grill/front end

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Lots of Questions

I would not try to say that the non-Alpine car is a Tiger or an Alger. The battery box - if it is indeed a battery box - raises a yellow flag. Mk 1 and Mk 1A Tigers did not have a battery box, but they did mount the fuel pump under what looks like a hatch for a battery box. It could be that the back half of the car was replaced with that portion of an Alpine. It's nice the car has what appears to be the factory removable hardtop. What is important is if it has all of the hardware and trim pieces for it.

His description makes it sound like the car was a Mk 1A, not a Mk II. Therefore, the engine is not original - Mk 1As only came with 260s, not 289s. The recommendation when trying to establish that a car is a Tiger is to have it undergo TAC inspection. Maybe you can find a car available for sale that has a legitimate TAC sticker attached and a certificate to go with it.

Good luck in your search for a suitable addition to your stable of cars!

catcollector

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Appears he has had a lot of interest since I posted, Looks like he put more pictures on the add......any new perspective?

Erich

Gold forum user
It is hard to separate out the Tiger pictures from the Alpine pictures.
The battery box pic is from the Tiger chassis, but that is not a stock Alpine battery box.
Looks like a home brew box that has been dropped in there.

The underhood stuff looks like Tiger, radiator, surge tank, generator mount.

I would get the id numbers off of the Toploader and the rear axle and submit them to Norm. Make sure they are not associated with a known destroyed or stolen tiger.

If they check out clean, and go together, they form a good basis to know which Tiger this really is.