Footman's Loop

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
Hi, trying to find out how the 5 footman's loop are fix in the trunk on my MKII
Rick from SS his telling me they where installed will metal screw , If so I have to fill the hole I want to do it before I paint the trunk . Rick told me those black plug are only been use on Alpine.
Just want to confirm !!!!
Gilles

20171214_210852.jpg

footman loop.JPG

331Mark2

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
MK2 Footmans Loop fastening

Gilles,
I went through the same thing and replaced the rubber mounted nuts in the sheet metal. I talked with Loren at Smitty's Sunbeam and he confirmed that they used the rubber mounted nuts in the MK2's. I actually purchased some and replaced all of mine - this was 5 years ago.
Best Regards, Dave

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Footman Loops on Alpines?

I am not that familiar with Alpines, but where were the footman loops used on them? The Alpine spare tire was not held down by rubber straps like on a Mk II. I did not think Alpines had a trunk deck cover, which also uses the loops for support on the front end of the cover. So if the rubber mounted nuts were used only on Alpines, where were they used? I could not find the footman loops listed in the Alpine parts book nor in the Tiger supplement parts book.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The sv alpine used a rubber strap to retain the vertical spare instead of a bolt.

The early series cars I/II also used a loop to retain the short strap for the spare with the buckle adjuster... But slightly different loop iirc.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
loop

a photo of a series 5 Alpine with the strap holding the spare as Michael mentioned. It's hard to see the strap but if you look closely you can see the strap crossing the left side of the tire and thru the loop at the top and crossing down to the other side.

Attachments

• 100_0553.JPG
    100_0553.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 170

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Good Example

Nice photo to show how the footman loop was used for the spare tire in a Series V Alpine. The trunk of the car looks gorgeous - always liked that deep blue! Thanks for sharing.

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
Footman MKII

See attached , I think MKII have 6 Rawlnut to hold the three Footman's loop to hold the spare tire. !!!!

Attachments

• trunk.jpg
    trunk.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 95
  • trunk1.JPG
    trunk1.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 107

Warren

Gold forum user
Common and uncommon

I have removed some that are heavier and cast iron slight difference in castings. I borrowed this picture from a client and restorer in the P.N.W.
I think the item sold for over 50 bucks on eBay. His name 509 Austinhealer . As I have with many I encouraged him to come and pile his items here.
s-l1600.jpg

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just installed the footman loops in my MK2. I found the rubber nuts at Lowes in the section where those drawers full of hardware are. They are made by Hillman (nice Rootes name) and cost $1.30 each. They have 10-24 threads. I never knew that these footman loops are wider than the ones used for the trunk tray-I also attached a photo to show the size difference.

DSC03845.JPG

DSC03838.JPG

DSC03842.JPG

Last edited:

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That is a very good find. Thanks for sharing the information about the Hillman rubber nuts.
David