Street shocks

Utah66

Bronze forum user
Need to replace shocks & springs. This is a street car that won't be tracked. What are people's thoughts about the options available? Konis appear to be the high end product, but on my Audi S4 I have been through 4 different suspensions, and the Konis were the worst in terms of durability. They felt right for the first 5-10K miles, then just wore out. Someone told me racers love them, but replace them after 1 or 2 events for this reason. Having a much better experience with Bilsteins on the Audi.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Concur in part

I have KYB shocks on the Black Tiger. Low pressure gas shock available Tiger specific.

Koni shocks on TigerBlue are great on the track and all around and I have found them durable but they are pricey. The fronts were installed by PO. (15? years ago)

Rick

drbill

Gold forum user
Need to replace shocks & springs. This is a street car that won't be tracked. What are people's thoughts about the options available? Konis appear to be the high end product, but on my Audi S4 I have been through 4 different suspensions, and the Konis were the worst in terms of durability. They felt right for the first 5-10K miles, then just wore out. Someone told me racers love them, but replace them after 1 or 2 events for this reason. Having a much better experience with Bilsteins on the Audi.

Another vote for KYB's. I put them on my Tiger and have also run them on other cars over the years.

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The Edelbrock shocks that CAT Parts carries were specifically developed for the Tiger. I have them on two street Tigers and even ran them a bit on the track. They are excellent. They give a very nice ride but the IAS technology helps limit roll, something that Tiger's need. Tom McDaniel runs them on his Tiger for autocrossing.

Unfortunately Edelbrock sold its shock business and this has ended CAT's access to these shocks. However CAT still has some remaining inventory. Get them while you can.

These Edelbrock's are my first choice for a Tiger shock and they are much less expensive than Konis and other premium shocks.

bt

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Another 2 options arer the monroes that i believ people seem to have good luck with.

I run spax gas adjustables on my tiget and alpine, they are sunbeam specific and do a great job.. all the advantages of Konis without the huge price. They are not rebuildable like Konis.. that said.. the price of a koni rebuild is about the same as a new spax shock when i last checked.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I had Koni's on my first Tiger and have KYB's on this one. Can't go wrong with either one, but if I ever have to replace the KYB's, I'd be tempted to go with Koni's again. I put over 50K street miles on them and they were still rock solid.

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
shocks and springs

Hi Bryson, if you don't want to go for the konis I agree with Buck and think the edelbrock shocks are the best bang for the buck.

They are way more burly than the kyb's and a lot cheaper than the koni's.

You also asked about springs, I've put Dale's 450# front coils on my street car and really like them. They are quite a bit shorter than stock but I don't find the ride harsh, I would say it just feels more surefooted.

For the rear I use those heavy duty leaf springs from Dale but I know that some people go with the stock leaf and then use the Dan Walters torque arm.

Bob J.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Ditto

+2 on the Edelbrock shocks
+1 on Dales 450 lb springs

I have both and really like the combination. I agree the ride is firm, but not harsh and the handling improved. Car is more just fun.:D

Gene

Utah66

Bronze forum user
Everyone, thank you so much for your input.

I don't know what was up with the Konis on my Audi. They were coilovers, and the shocks were valved specifically for that application. Car was taut, and handling was great for a while, but then....

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Another Tiger owner has Bilsteins on his car and I thought it felt real nice when I had a drive. The only comparison I had was my Tiger who's shocks were shot and so was the rest of the car at the time.
The part #'s for them were rear B46-1333 Front B46-0078.
These shocks cost $1200.00 nz here but I have seen one of the part #'s at Summit for a lot less than we can get them here.

Mal

These part# were given to me by the other Tiger owner, so you will need to see if they will fit. I think they are normaly for 4x4 vehicles but he was told they are the best.

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
KYBs

I have had real good luck with the KYB brand on my other toy cars , reasonably priced as well.

steven

Gold forum user
I guess the Gabriel Roadstars fitted to my origional MK1 will be replaced during the rebuild:cool:

tgrrr

Silver forum user
KYB Shocks

My front suspension is a little different so I use Qa1's up front but for the rear I use the KYB 743019 AGX Adjustable Gas Shocks.

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
You're welcome, Duke.

I'm probably going to regret not picking them up, but I have to slow the bleeding somehow.

Regards,
John.

defsailor

Bronze forum user
Spax shocks

I have adjustable Spax shocks and club springs on my car and it is pretty harsh even turned all the way down. how much do the edelbrocks change the ride? The wife has to wear a sports bra the way it is now!:rolleyes: we are considering a 700 mile trip this fall and I don't want to hear about it that far.