hardtop rear and side glass orders

Fordlandia

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I might be interested in placing an order, but would like to have someone involved answer the questions that have already been asked by others:

1. "Does he have the contour in what he makes or are they flat?"

2. "I can't make the meeting Warren--could you post a pic please? Thanks buddy."

I hope someone who wants this to proceed will take the time to respond to those requests.

Thanks,

Bill
Grand Rapids, MI
2 Tigers, 1 Alpine: all with hardtops.

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
hardtop glass

Ok, here is some information about that hardtop glass.

I was one of the four people that bought the glass a couple of months ago.
CAT Member Lee negotiated a discount with Glass Maker Lee so I took the plunge.

Using a bathroom scale I found out 2 things- one, I could stand to lose 5 pounds and two, the rear glass hardtop window weighs 11.5 pounds.

I don't know what the plexi window weighs, that's still in the hardtop. To me the glass top seems pretty light but that's subjective.

I've attached some shots of the glass window and my hardtop that still has what feels like the original plexi rear window. The last picture shows the glass window sitting on top of the plexi window and it seems to be a perfect match. There aren't any gaps and the compound shape looks the same. Please use your own judgement.

I haven't spoken to anyone that is using this glass window in their hardtop yet.

Glass Lee has a tiger and posts to the tiger autotox web email list, it would be a good idea if he registered on the CAT forum and answered some of these questions.

Bob

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Great pics--thanks for posting. I have been on the fence with this, but since I really don't use my hardtop (all restored except for rear glass) I have been using my money for other items.

Warren

Gold forum user
Quit buying toys

Great pics--thanks for posting. I have been on the fence with this, but since I really don't use my hardtop (all restored except for rear glass) I have been using my money for other items.

You have to drive down here for the Cobra Style roll bar. Please consider the swap meet. Mi Sofa es Su Sofa, well maybe I can find a better spot. Ask MRS. if you can come out to play at the coming swap meet.

Oh and a couple other questions were asked and came thru Lee Pearl from Lee Glass. The glass comes with no AS1 or AS2 marking between the laminate. Our mfg. also builds custom glass for other megabuck cars so one does not have to come from Modena Italia for several 1000 dollars. The windows are made in a commercial kiln over his custom made mold system.
I'd like to know if Lee glass can make a local windshield with a reproduced mfg stamping as original. I know they are available from S.S. but want to avoid shipping and deal locally whenever possible.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Warren--I put the CAT swap meet on the calendar, hopefully my busy schedule opens up by then. :)

leepear

Gold forum user
I will post when the glass is ready. Lee glass has two rears made but is a bit slow so it should be about a month for pickup. Lee

leepear

Gold forum user
The four rear glass have been made and Lee is working on the side pieces. I will be contacting the interested people soon to make sure they still want the glass since I am fronting the money and don't want to get stuck with an extra. The out of State people will deal directly with Lee the glass guy. Lee

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Plastic Weight and reconfirming interest

For the purpose of this thread,

Weight of plastic v. glass:

plastic windscreen is 5.2lbs (2.36kg).

Looking forward to updates and still...no rush for me. But, today was maybe the last day of "taking s--t off" So, at some point, I'll have to put it back together.

Thank you,

Derek

:)

leepear

Gold forum user
Rear Glass is finished and I will contact the interested parties. 4 sets side and rear. $350 No delivery. I will take the glass for the So Calif folks to my place in Newport Beach and will connect any that will needed to be shipped with Lee the glass guy. Thanks Lee

331Mark2

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Hi Lee, Sorry I did not get on the list, but if there are any sets not claimed I would be interested. I'm in San Diego and would have no problem picking them up. I have an older set of side glass I never installed and sure would like to have the rear window - but a set would work since I have 2 cars.
Best Regards, Dave

leepear

Gold forum user
Hi Dave: If a set becomes available you are in. So far I have seven could be sold and four available. Bad math situation. Thanks Lee

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hardtop glass

If you think about making more, I'd order a set of side windows and a rear glass as well. I need to restore the hardtop off B9471705 as it's really hard to use the same top on two cars, fitment wise. I'm in San Diego also.
Bob Knight
B9471705
B9471929

331Mark2

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Thanks Lee, Just let me know if you have an extra set or even a extra back window.
Best Regards, Dave

Billm

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Hardtop rear and side glass orders

I received my hardtop glass yesterday. Thanks to Lee and his work for arranging the production of the hardtop glass. The replacement of the plexiglass is one of my winter projects. Bill:)

leepear

Gold forum user
Close this thread from lee

I am closing this thread on hardtop rear and side glass. Lee will honor the 350 price for club members for the next few months. Send him an email at Lee@AlanAutoGlass.com . He is located in Burbank for local pickup and will ship too. Lee

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rear window hardtop glass

Does anybody have any feedback on the rear glass window for the hardtop, and how it worked for fit? I like the idea that the glass doesn't scratch as easily as the plastic. A bit more weight over the original plastic but how much more? Are they still available?
Brian

Warren

Gold forum user
One set

I have Lee's set and one that I have not installed. Several guys bought them. Doug C. has been asking me to pick up and if he changes his mind...

Lee Alan Glass in Burbank has retired from what I understand but if you Google him maybe we could find out what he did with the pattern. I can ask Leepear if he has a home number for him as well.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I haven't look in a while, but I used to see these on eBay from time to time...
-Kevin

Warren

Gold forum user
New Owner

So the gent and former Tiger owner sold the business and I have contacted the new guy. I keep on getting PM's like I have em laying around or Leepear does. I asked the new owner since he has the mold's and the oven to price out a additional run. All I really know is what I learned that there is a big price discount in the production process for a big order. It was pretty crazy in the Alpine Tiger windshield price. The trouble is no one can carry the inventory cost alone. This shop would make exotic glass for cars that the movie industry would ruin or have a hole cut for a camera or whatever magic it is they do.

I'll share what I come up with . I had planned on one stock car with a plastic rear window and one with a tinted glass one but who knows.
The only crazy thing was the United judging last was an extra 5 points for a hardtop. I say crazy IMHO as guys showed up and had left their tops at home and had no idea till they got there of the penalty. I do not fancy a show car in my garage as I worry about them enough as it is.