MK2 Rocker Trim and Arches Reproduction

Warren

Gold forum user
A client of mine and multiple Tiger owner is pricing tooling and the project. As I well know the flowchart leads has questions like ..

How many car's need the part, How many guy's have them hoarded away as their tax free 401K , as well as those who may just like em on a personalized car if pricing was tolerable, plus other questions.

Any comments here will be read by our long time member who's just making the preliminary studies. I do think he has the best interest of the Tiger world in mind.

Thanks W.

Last edited:

norm1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have a set for my MKII but I'm sure they are not a super shape (will be re- installed maybe this year). I may be interested in a new set depending on price.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Maybe

My car has the rocker panel trim pieces already, but I would consider buying an "insurance set" depending on the price. It must be hard for someone to consider such an undertaking. The demand will depend, to an extent, on the price and the price will depend, to some degree, on the number of units (or demand).

I wish anyone undertaking such an endeavor good success.

Warren

Gold forum user
Path

I learned the hard way with the AC Housing project you can't get enough information or can't make everyone happy. I got a beating from a few.

"Put marks on them so everyone will know they are reproductions."
"450 why that's more than I paid for the whole car."
" Why I threw mine away 20 years ago cause it didn't flow enough."

All I want is whatever it takes to enable the cars to be enjoyed.

Our member is starting with the rocker moulding and hope to move up he has several MK2's and if you were paying attention to the new members he's just joined forum. An old school gent who isn't on E device's much.

I'm not involved in project other than my capacity as the Vendor manager. I want to all I can to help. Please encourage your friends to reply here and cross post to our Facebook bro's.

67MKII

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Like HolyCat -

I have the MKII rocker trim to put on my car when it come back from the stripper > when the bodywork is done, etc. etc.
But I would buy an extra set to have as a spare (or is that just asking for the car to get crunched?).

John

tiger260

Gold forum user
I don't want to muddy the water at all but I was under the impression that the rocker/sill strip could be created by reworking other Rootes group trim.

Warren

Gold forum user
Yes

But hacking and welding together pieces then giving the impression to match is 5' or 10' and I think great if that's you cup of tea. I like a driver car when at a show and some guys there with his gooey kid I let em snap a pic with the kid at the wheel. Thank goodness for Purell.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Mkll rocker or sill trim

Hi, I would like to get an extra set as insurance, as stated above. Put me down for a new pair.
Brian

tiger260

Gold forum user
But hacking and welding together pieces then giving the impression to match is 5' or 10' and I think great if that's you cup of tea. I like a driver car when at a show and some guys there with his gooey kid I let em snap a pic with the kid at the wheel. Thank goodness for Purell.

I do remember a welded set on ebay.
It would seem that your gooey fingered kid welded that particular set.

I suppose what I was getting at was I thought if someone went down his route they would go for the arch trims first which are 100% pure weapons grade unobtainium.

What ever he does, it is an admirable venture and I wish him well.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I don't want to muddy the water at all but I was under the impression that the rocker/sill strip could be created by reworking other Rootes group trim.

The sceptre trim is the same sectional profile and pattern, but... never came in a long enough length , would not have 2 correspondingly correct ends .... and the big elephant in the room.... the mkii sill/ rocker trim actually has a gentle curved ( bowed) profile in elevation along its length.

tiger260

Gold forum user
The sceptre trim is the same sectional profile and pattern, but... never came in a long enough length , would not have 2 correspondingly correct ends .... and the big elephant in the room.... the mkii sill/ rocker trim actually has a gentle curved ( bowed) profile in elevation along its length.

Ah, I didn't know that.

I have some sceptre trims that I intend to experiment on.

Does anyone know the exact length of the MK2 rocker trim and what the 2 ends should look like?

I have no need for them but after seeing the awful attempt someone made, I thought I'd give it a go.

Sorry for the slight thread detour. :eek:

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I suppose what I was getting at was I thought if someone went down his route they would go for the arch trims first which are 100% pure weapons grade unobtainium.

What ever he does, it is an admirable venture and I wish him well.

There are other Rootes parts that can be used to kluge together some of the wheel arch trim pieces, but again they would likely be detectable just like the rocker panel trim pieces kluged from the Sceptre parts.

I suspect that taking on the development of the 4 different pieces for the wheel arch trim pieces is a lot more daunting that starting off with the rocker panel trim pieces. And talk about some very complex compound curves! Also, there are some folks out there who may be looking only to buy one or two of the wheel arch trim pieces and may be reluctant to buy all four together.

Whatever he takes on is, indeed, a very admirable venture.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Mkll bits

Hey as long as we're talking about the reproduction of these unobtainium parts,
What do you guys think of the wide grill surround of the Mkll. When they were just used cars it wasn't such a big deal, times are different now. Now, in these days when your out enjoying a drive, it doesn't necessarily have to do with anything how you drive, but who drives into you, or backs up into you etc. Prices being what they are, we all like our cars and enjoy taking them out to dust them off. It's peace of mind knowing that parts can be had, and if the unthinkable happens, it's nice to know that there's another piece to put back on. If you don't have all the pieces to the puzzle, your "puzzle" lacks something until it's complete. The way I look at it, these cars were meant to be driven, and if we live in fear of having one pranged then it's not so much fun anymore. Like the air cleaner made, it's a quality part, quality parts sell, and cost money. Nothing wrong to think of it as insurance. A nice new quality part for those who have a buggered one, or don't have one at all, or as an extra would be welcome.
My 2 cents.
Brian

tiger260

Gold forum user
Hey as long as we're talking about the reproduction of these unobtainium parts,
What do you guys think of the wide grill surround of the Mkll. When they were just used cars it wasn't such a big deal, times are different now. Now, in these days when your out enjoying a drive, it doesn't necessarily have to do with anything how you drive, but who drives into you, or backs up into you etc. Prices being what they are, we all like our cars and enjoy taking them out to dust them off. It's peace of mind knowing that parts can be had, and if the unthinkable happens, it's nice to know that there's another piece to put back on. If you don't have all the pieces to the puzzle, your "puzzle" lacks something until it's complete. The way I look at it, these cars were meant to be driven, and if we live in fear of having one pranged then it's not so much fun anymore. Like the air cleaner made, it's a quality part, quality parts sell, and cost money. Nothing wrong to think of it as insurance. A nice new quality part for those who have a buggered one, or don't have one at all, or as an extra would be welcome.
My 2 cents.
Brian

That's a good idea too.

Along with the Mk2 side trims these are another part where scraggy battered examples command huge prices.

While we're on this subject, and if no-one minds, may I mention that while at the Sunbeam Spares Day in Coventry I bumped into the guy who created the stainless steel Mk2 grille reproductions. He had one there and they look amazing.

Anyway, he has a couple left. One assembled and one in kit form.
I have no idea of prices though.

If anyone wants or needs one, shout up and I'll let you have his e-mail address.

No affiliation, just wanna keep 'em runnin' as Randy would say. :)

Warren

Gold forum user
More

Than one has made Grilles . Brian W. In O.C. has made em too. Tiger owners can be really fickle.
I had a old school guy hold our reproduction AC housing in his had and play scale with outstretched arm and insist it was heavier then his original at home. I smiled and moved on . Even with a perfect part there'll be a nay sayer.

Lot's of items are being discussed including the grille. Our member also made repop pie wheels and Tri-Y's .

tiger260

Gold forum user
Than one has made Grilles . Brian W. In O.C. has made em too. Tiger owners can be really fickle.
I had a old school guy hold our reproduction AC housing in his had and play scale with outstretched arm and insist it was heavier then his original at home. I smiled and moved on . Even with a perfect part there'll be a nay sayer.

Lot's of items are being discussed including the grille. Our member also made repop pie wheels and Tri-Y's .

I don't know about the other grilles but Dean's are made of stainless steel. A little heavier than the original but are nicely polished and look really nice and of course are immune to corrosion.

He's the guy who restored the MK2 automatic prototype ( quite an undertaking. I saw it at his place early in it's resurrection)

He needed one for his car so had one made and a few more to cover the manufacture costs.

I've compared your repro housing to an original. The only thing you forgot was the rust. :)

trevor91773

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Order

Count me in for set if they are somewhat reasonably priced. I have a set but they have some minor issues. One of the previous owners mounted them with screws through the trim piece. A braised fix was attempted but not the best outcome.

Bullypit

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Mark II Wheel arch trim

There are at least two owners in the Atlanta area that are interested in obtaining a set - thanks.