AMC tailshaft

John Marinan

Bronze forum user
I have a question about the AMC T5 tailshaft housing. I have one that was machined by Dale's Restoration 12 years ago. It has work done on the front of the housing, and in the speedometer hole. Dale is out of the country and the Trans shop is asking me what kind of speedometer unit goes in the T5 AMC housing? Any help would be appreciated.

PITT40

Gold forum user
Do you have pics of what you have?

The AMC uses a Chrysler speedo cable, if I recall. I believe Dale had some type of adapter fabricated to use the Tiger cable.

Warren

Gold forum user
Contact

Dale AKA forumTigerracer can be reached by clicking on his name then either select option of Private Message or send an email.
Most often the default sends a email to the recipient when you get a PM.

A couple others have Frankenfitted the AMC I'm sure that they'll chime in Jim is the hobby vendor who does the GPS speedometer.

PITT40

Gold forum user
I'm doing an AMC tailhousing and using Jim's speedo. I just made a plug out of aluminum and o ringed it to seal the speedo hole.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I have a question about the AMC T5 tailshaft housing. I have one that was machined by Dale's Restoration 12 years ago. It has work done on the front of the housing, and in the speedometer hole. Dale is out of the country and the Trans shop is asking me what kind of speedometer unit goes in the T5 AMC housing? Any help would be appreciated.

A Dodge 904 auto speedometer assembly fits the stock AMC tail housing and using a specific drive gear/shaft and a GM TH400 drive gear it can be clocked so they will mesh properly. The drive gear has to be relocated forward of the stock Ford drive gear location to line up . It won't be the correct ratio for the stock speedo so a ratio adapter (90° fits best ) needs to be installed...they only come with a GM style (7/8" nut) end so the stock Tiger cable has to be shortened and have that end installed or use a different ('Merican) style cable I can give you all the part #s for that if you want to use the stock speedo.
Electronic speedo driven by either trans mounted sensor or GPS sender are other options

John Marinan

Bronze forum user
Jim,
Thanks for the reply. I sent the tail shaft parts over to Modern Driveline. I asked him to plug the hole for the speedo drive, but he says he can't do it. he told me to find the right sender and he would install it and cap it so that I could use a GPS speedo. It would seem to me that since he wants the parts to fill the hole that maybe I should just use the mechanical hookup. What do you suggest? This tailshaft had machine work done in the speedo hole by Dale but I really don't what it was for.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Jim,
Thanks for the reply. I sent the tail shaft parts over to Modern Driveline. I asked him to plug the hole for the speedo drive, but he says he can't do it. he told me to find the right sender and he would install it and cap it so that I could use a GPS speedo. It would seem to me that since he wants the parts to fill the hole that maybe I should just use the mechanical hookup. What do you suggest? This tailshaft had machine work done in the speedo hole by Dale but I really don't what it was for.

I used a 1.75 frost plug in the hole and one of Jims GPS speedos
Easy!!