Prefer to drive front-less and topless

How many license plates on your car?

• 0 - racing maybe? moonshiner?

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 1 - rear only

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • 1 - Front BC (a guest from that beautiful state down South of the border)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 - front and rear

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • 2+ - a James Bond type revolving plate

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Looking thru the SUNI pics posted here it looks as though maybe 50% have no front license plate. In Calif. we are now required to display a front plate as well as a rear plate. The law used to read that only vehicles that were manufactured with means to provide a front plate were required to have one installed.

The Tiger has plate mounting holes in the front but these are for the longer European style plates. The plates in the states are shorter and for some reason I've never quite been able to figure out how to attach a plate in the provided mounting location.;)

The other day I created the opportunity to have one of my home town officers chat with me for a few minutes. I was informed that we now have two police vehicles in town that are equipt with front and rear license plate reading cameras capable of reading 100 plates a second coming or going. Any vehicles reported as stolen or with other violations are instantly displayed to the officers in these camera equipt patrol cars.

Of course our little chat gave the officer and myself a chance to get aquainted and just for him to show his concern about the possiblity of my rare and sometimes much sought after vehicle to be stolen. We also discussed that red light cameras also require a front plate for my safety.

I prefer to drive front-less as well as topless but I'm not sure how many times one can go to the CHP with the same fix-it ticket before they begin to issue stiffer corrections or fines.

I was just wondering what the other 50% out there might have to say.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
No Front Plate

My position on front plates in CA: Violator

We have 4 cars and only the Volvo Wagon has a front plate. It is useless to try to make a box like that look better by 86ing the front plate.

My position on red light cameras: They are revenue generators disguising as promoting safety.

I have been ticketed...once upon a time not having a front license:

1989 Taurus SHO had a rubber plate holder (One of my friends thought the empty plate holder was uglier than a CA License plate.) on the front bumper embossed "SHO". I did not have the plate on the car and was ticketed at the Orange County Airport long term parking. All I had to do was mount the plate and get an officer to sign off the correction. I do not remember how soon I removed the plate but think days not years. Before the SHO it was an '84 Supra. After a SVT Cobra Mustang and an Infiniti G35. These cars were/are my daily drivers and often had to be street parked when home because of Tiger priority on garage space.

Being 60 something with gray hair probably helps? But I do not worry about it. Rick

tonythetiger

Bronze forum user
front plate

In the state of IL. we are required to have both front and rear plates. The Tiger plate is beside the cent console if Im ever ask for it and I will explain how the car came made for a long English front plate. depending on which cop and if he is a state, county, local, sherrif or Secretary of State (who is the worst) wehather I will receive a ticket or be told to exhibit the plate. I movd to IL in 1972 from WVa and soon bought my first Tiger. Upon receiving my plates, I thought i only had one. In WVa, where only a rear plate is used, the plate is thick- to surrvive the salt on the roads in the winter time. My new IL. plates where stuck together but even then, where so thin, I thought I only received one plate. I dropped the plate and they seperatd into a set. That Tiger had something to hold a front plate- I dont remember what it was but I did put it on the car along with my second Tiger and my third. Not sure about number 4 but number 5 has yet to be ask for.
TtT

tgrrr

Silver forum user
Up here in the Great White North of Idaho 2 plates are required... but if you have vanity plates, why not flaunt them?

segrave

Gold forum user
Staff member
CAT Member
I have 4 vehicles now. Vehicles that don't look so good with front plates (Tiger) don't have them. F150, Civic, and Solara I couldn't care less about asthetically. They are all legal. It's funny but I was thinking about this subject while driving home today. I figured I could attach a front plate using cord to the front grill beastie for long enough to get a cop to sign off, go around the corner and remove it again till the next stop. Honestly here in SoCal cops don't bother much with real crime, they can't be bothered with stops for plate violation. The only ticket I ever got for front plate was on my Corvette and it was issued by a parking officer when giving me a parking ticket.

Steve

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
When new the tiger had a bracket that mounted off those front holes to fit your USA plates (or others) so there is provision for them. Also as mentioned by others.. they can even help with cooling and handling by acting as an airdamn (more effect for the larger brit plates)

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
Got a Ticket

Last year I got a ticket for not having a front plate (in my buick). The cop told me the reason was, a lot of criminal types are stealing cars, or just not regestering the one their driving, and putting a front plate on the rear. He might have been feeding me some B.S. cause front plates dont have a place for the sticker. But I got the ticket anyways. It was only a fix-it, so I put the plate on, had it inspected and done. I paid a fee (fine) also. I dont have a front plate on my Tiger, I used to just keep it in the glove box. Since my car has not run in 20 yrs ( yes 20) I never really needed it. But I still got it.

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
Here's a shot of the front.

Picture 248.jpg

Picture 247.jpg