Can't get the axle back into the rear housing

Coy Emory

Bronze forum user
Hi all,

One upon a time I removed the passenger side rear axle. Now it is time to re-install. The axle goes in all but about 3/4 of an inch and stops..I have tried tapping the end of the axle but no help. I'm in far enough to engage the spider gears since when I turn the axle the opposite axle turns in the opposite direction. Any thoughts or suggestion much appreciated

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not Fun

Hi all,

One upon a time I removed the passenger side rear axle. Now it is time to re-install. The axle goes in all but about 3/4 of an inch and stops..I have tried tapping the end of the axle but no help. I'm in far enough to engage the spider gears since when I turn the axle the opposite axle turns in the opposite direction. Any thoughts or suggestion much appreciated

Well, if it were limited slip, it would mead a disc or three were out of position and you would need to anchor the installed side from turning while turning & tapping of the loose axle. Otherwise, clean the splines & inspect closely before increasing the size of the hammer. A micro camera or strong LED should determine if anything is in the central hub obstructing things.

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Differential

Is your differential a stock 'open' unit (non-posi) or a limited slip unit (power loc)?

Gary

SunbeamTgr

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Can't get axle back in

I am pretty certain that the axles have a spacer "Button" that fits into a recessed hole in the end of the axle. That button may have fallen out and is laying in the splined area of a spider gear. Look at the end of the axle for that button!!

Coy Emory

Bronze forum user
There is NOT a button on the end of the axle. I'll look in the axle shaft, is it a metal button or plastic? Can I remove it with a magnet?

SunbeamTgr

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Can't get the axle back in

Sorry for some potential misinformation about the spacer button. I now recall that it's inside the differential mounted inside the spacer block. Look inside the axle tube with a light. I believe i have used a LONG magnet and retrieved one. Then, I put some thick grease on the stem part and pushed it back into the hole in the spacer block. If all else fails, I'd remove the differential cover and see what the problem might be. GOOD LUCK!!

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Spacer

In the stock (open) differential there is a 1 1/2" wide spacer (#12) that slides over the spider gear shaft (#13). This spacer keeps the axles spaced apart the correct distance. The splined side gears (#8) are a single piece, so if the axle has started to engage the side gear, it should slide all the way in until bottoming out on the spacer. If for some reason the spacer were broken and fell into the side gear, it may keep the axle from sliding all the way in, but I have never heard of that happening.

Attachments

• Open Rearend.jpg
    Open Rearend.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 104
  • Open Rearend 1.jpg
    Open Rearend 1.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 92

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Differential

Are you sure you have an open differential (non-posi)?

If you had a positraction unit (limited slip), the axles could rotate in opposite directions, if the clutches were highly worn.

Had you had the rearend cover off? Can you post a picture?

Gary