Fitting Derale fan...

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
After reading the studies that Tiger-Tom & Chuck King did on cooling our cars, I bought a Derale 17015 fan. I have one of Rick's (Sunbeam Spec.) water pumps with the reversed hubs. I see now what I read in the report that I will have to enlarge the Fairmont pulley hub center to 1" to allow the pump hub to pass through it. What I did not realize is that the severe blade angle of the Derale fan would be so close to the belt groove. I know that I need to space the fan away from the Fairmont hub, but also not too much as it may alter the sweet spot of the relationship of the fan's spacing from the core, the shroud, & the upper rad. hose.

Someone must have the same combination as I do, Rick's pump, the Fairmont Pulley & the Derale 17015 fan. Here is the question. What width of a spacer between the pulley & the fan is ideal? I am guessing about 1/2". How did you space it, with commercially available fan spacers or a combination of fan shims & where did you get them? I also realize that there are differances between our cars & that it may just be a trial & error affair.

Also, the report also stipulates that the fan installation my require adding spacer shims under the motor mounts to clear the rack. My clearance between the original air filter & LAT hood with an AFB intake is tight now, raising the engine would make it worse. I knew someone decades ago that added an even larger fan for A/C, but he did not space the engine, he added spacers between the front crossmember & frame. Is that a far-fetched bad idea?

Thanks!

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Just to confirm part of your question...

The Fairmont pulley has 2 or 3 grooves, depending on the model. We only use the rearward most groove. Are you saying the pitch of the fan is such that the blades would reach almost all the way back to that groove without a spacer?

Gene

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just to confirm part of your question...

The Fairmont pulley has 2 or 3 grooves, depending on the model. We only use the rearward most groove. Are you saying the pitch of the fan is such that the blades would reach almost all the way back to that groove without a spacer?

Gene

Yes, that is correct. My pulley as two grooves & the blades extend past the unused one, too close to the second one for comfort.

My motor is out of the car so I have not trial fitted it, but do others that have the same pulley / Derale combination not needed a spacer?

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Curious

Yes, that is correct. My pulley as two grooves & the blades extend past the unused one, too close to the second one for comfort.

My motor is out of the car so I have not trial fitted it, but do others that have the same pulley / Derale combination not needed a spacer?

Do you have a photo of the test assembly? Also, shimming the X-member a tad 1/4" could work well as long as you maintain "full contact" load bearing by using plates and not washers.

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It appears that the fan blades are too close for comfort to the belt, don't you agree?

Also, on the water pump hub there is a ring that protrudes through the Pulley even after it as has been enlared to 1", so a spacer would also have to be opened to that same 1". I've looked on the Net & most all the spacers are constructed in a way that you could not open up the center of it to said 1" without it falling apart. Only thing I have seen that might work would be
1/8" & 3/16" aluminum shims. Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
The issue will be the upper radiator hose, not the belt. Gently bend the blades. Mine has been on for years with 1000s of miles to include plenty of 1/4 mile blasts. No issue thus far and it blows like hell too.

002-45.jpg

001-41.jpg

Last edited:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
More Ditto's

It appears that the fan blades are too close for comfort to the belt, don't you agree?

Also, on the water pump hub there is a ring that protrudes through the Pulley even after it as has been enlared to 1", so a spacer would also have to be opened to that same 1". I've looked on the Net & most all the spacers are constructed in a way that you could not open up the center of it to said 1" without it falling apart. Only thing I have seen that might work would be
1/8" & 3/16" aluminum shims. Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

I agree with Duke; we've done 3 of these with good results. We did trim the first one a precise 1/4" up the backs and across the top. The next two we simply "massaged" the blades to comfy clearance.

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
clearance

Like has been previously mentioned I put one on and all it took to make it fit was to bend the blades back slightly. It's tight but it works.
At higher revs the clearance improves since it really flattens out the faster it's spinning.
Bob J.

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for all replies.

Since it seems many have used this Derale fan, did any of you have to place washers under the motor mounts to raise the motor enough to clear the rack? I realize every car is a bit different.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Thanks for all replies.

Since it seems many have used this Derale fan, did any of you have to place washers under the motor mounts to raise the motor enough to clear the rack? I realize every car is a bit different.

Yep, large 1/8" washer between engine mounts and cast iron frame rail brackets.

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Whoa! Large 1/8" washer between the hanger & the mount? All this time, I thought they were referring to putting the washers between the block & the mount.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Whoa! Large 1/8" washer between the hanger & the mount?

There is only one bolt between hanger and mount. Two bolts for the block to the mount. Reduces washer requirement by 50%.

Correct me if I am wrong but 1/8" between hanger and mount will create more lift than between block and mount.

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
fitting derale fan

See attached picture of what we have done to fit the derale fan
2 spacer 1/8 thick to go on the motor mount
1 1/4 inch thick spacer CNC aluminium goes betwen the fan and the pulley with bring the fan 1/4 inch further forward it will now clear the bottom pulley and the fan belt !!!
I Use Top Hose Dayco 70627

Gilles

Attachments

• 20180221_083336.jpg
    20180221_083336.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 213
  • dayco.JPG
    dayco.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited: