Concourse restoration steel wheels

leepear

Gold forum user
After an earlier discussion on wheels and no book of N to reference I am unrestoring my Tiger back to original stock. If I want to be correct I need late version wheels, more later in this post.

I just talked to Rick at SS specialties and there is certainly a later version of the stock wheel with a stronger lug area. Earlier Tiger or Alpine wheels are the interesting question since I have an early Alpine wheel and late Tiger and Alpine wheel. So to start the discussion there appears to be no difference between a late Alpine and Tiger wheel Part #1214930 with an X and date code 66 stamped on the wheel. I have both Alpine and Tiger wheels and they are exactly the same.

I cannot address early wheels because my date code early wheel with a 5 date and part #1214930 wheel has different lug area that I will show in the picture. So enough of my lack of knowledge I will let people with parts books and knowledge take over this discussion. Here are the two different pictures. At a concourse event you would never be asked to remove your hub caps so you can actually use either wheel and only your hairdresser will know the difference. I am the hairdresser so I want to be correct on my car.

I also tried to find a rattle can color to match and these wheels are white with a touch of gray. I could not find a correct color but that would help too if krylon or others made a close match. I would have probably paid more for tiger wheels but now I know I do not need to since they are the same. Lee

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I have a bunch of 13" 'Minx' wheels... dated 66 with the 'x' ... don't see a part#

Were all 'Rootes' wheels the same for a given year ??

Jim
B382000446

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Lee

According to the Parts Manual, Alpines had three different iterations of wheels but the final type (PN 1214930) was in place shortly before Tiger production began (I will defer to the Alpine experts to provide an exact date.) The same part number is listed for Tiger wheels, so, I believe it is safe to say Alpine and Tiger wheels are the same for the years when Tigers were produced.

I have the early wheels (mix of 64 & 65) and they have the same lug area as shown in your first photo.

As for the color, I powder-coated mine in a slightly off white color. Sorry but I do not recall the exact name of the color.

BON says the color is grey-white. I have attached a photo of mine, although mine might be a bit too white. The photo makes them look even whiter.

Fordlandia

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Alpine vs. Tiger Wheels

I'm not certain that this info will help much with the basic question of the thread, but I am attaching a couple of photos of the spare tire wheel on the one owner '66 Alpine I purchased a few years ago. According to the owner, who purchased the car new in 1966, the spare tire had never been out of the trunk.

A couple of observations:

1. What you describe as the "X" marking is actually a symbol (perhaps a company logo of the maker?). There is an "S" inside a diamond shaped space, with the sides of the diamond "extended" a ways... making what at first glance is an "X." I'll try to get a better close up photo of that area to better show what I mean.

2. This wheel has the part #1214930 (although the last digit of "0" is faint) and the "66" marking.

3. Color of the wheel (outside only) is the super light gray (actually, better described as being a white with a slight gray tint).

4. Notice the backside: it is black... and the white that was applied to the front has "fogged" through the openings, leaving traces of the spray paint on the back.

Regards,

Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

Mark II
Mark I
Alpine Series V

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
the wheels were foam grey which is almost like an off white/ivory in certain lights.

The wheels were black and the light colour sprayed over the front and you see the overspray on the backs of the holes where the paint went through.

As for the wheels the later wheels as used had the small stiffening rib pressed into them, and they do have a date code.

Another thing to remember.. dont leave paint on the area where the lug nut interfaces the wheel.. it prevents even pressure and location and correct seating and can lead to issues with ovaling out the lug holes and damage to studs etc from movement. Check the wheels oyu have to ensure they are still round there.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'm not certain that this info will help much with the basic question of the thread, but I am attaching a couple of photos of the spare tire wheel on the one owner '66 Alpine I purchased a few years ago. According to the owner, who purchased the car new in 1966, the spare tire had never been out of the trunk.

A couple of observations:

1. What you describe as the "X" marking is actually a symbol (perhaps a company logo of the maker?). There is an "S" inside a diamond shaped space, with the sides of the diamond "extended" a ways... making what at first glance is an "X." I'll try to get a better close up photo of that area to better show what I mean.

2. This wheel has the part #1214930 (although the last digit of "0" is faint) and the "66" marking.

3. Color of the wheel (outside only) is the super light gray (actually, better described as being a white with a slight gray tint).

4. Notice the backside: it is black... and the white that was applied to the front has "fogged" through the openings, leaving traces of the spray paint on the back.

Regards,

Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

Mark II
Mark I
Alpine Series V

Thanks for posting the pictures Bill!

Cool too see a tire from 1966 that still has the risers on it.

Cheers, -Kevin

leepear

Gold forum user
We can wrap up this educational thread if someone would add the correct wheels for an early Sunbeam Tiger pre 66 stamping on the wheel. Normal concourse judges would even know when the 66 wheels started. For example the Oldsmobile 442 w-30 had all kinds of changes during the production year of 1970. BON may identify most of these but again I don't have access to one. This may be where Tiger wheels were different than Alpine or not. If anyone in S. Cal has two extra 66 wheels I have found that only 3 of my five are correct for my car. I plan a thread on tire options next where in concourse judging you get some latitude and almost nobody has correct date code tires. I did have a new original spare in my Oldsmobile and correct era tires non reproduction on my Oldsmobile which was extremely rare to see. I do have an original tiger spare that I will post a picture of in the thread. Thanks Lee

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
64 & 65

Lee

Here are two Tiger wheels. The first one (979) has a 64 stamp, the second
(992) is stamped 65. Both are PN 1214930. I could not get a clear shot of the date stamp because of the powder-coating and my poor photo skills, but I assure you they are there.

leepear

Gold forum user
would you mind positing a picture of the underside lug area. That is where the noticeable difference appears. Thanks Lee

leepear

Gold forum user
Hi Jim: Thanks for the posting. Would you mind a picture of the underside of those wheels at the lug nut area. That is where the difference appears. It also shows that you need correct date code wheels for your tiger since you can't put a 66 wheel on an early car and have it be correct. I have 2 65 wheels that can go back to Warren and be correct on his new tiger. Lee

tgrrr

Silver forum user
Steel Wheels

Are all of the Sunbeam stock steel wheels banned by the SCCA in autocross competition due to their propensity for failure, or just certain versions?

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Are all of the Sunbeam stock steel wheels banned by the SCCA in autocross competition due to their propensity for failure, or just certain versions?

I would advise against autoXing on any wheel that is 48+ years old.

Alpine260

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Lee

Here are two Tiger wheels. The first one (979) has a 64 stamp, the second
(992) is stamped 65. Both are PN 1214930. I could not get a clear shot of the date stamp because of the powder-coating and my poor photo skills, but I assure you they are there.

Guys, for what its worth, both my Tigers had the same style of wheel. One is B9471784 and the other is B382004152 and they have this smaller notch that is on the same centerline as the bolt pattern...but the two alpines I have had, and one set of wheels I still have from one of them.... did not have that small notch. I was under the impression that was tiger vs alpine specific.

Cullen

Last edited:

Fordlandia

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Cullen,

For what it is worth, all of my '66 Alpine wheels (one owner, 66,000 miles, original paint & interior, etc) have the "notches" you mention. Perhaps someone else can comment, as I do not believe the "notches" are Tiger only features.

Other folks with '66 Alpines may want to chime in.

Regards,

Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Pics You Wanted

Lee

Here are Pics of the inside of the 64 wheel (328) and the 65 wheel (329).

No notches on mine. Wondering if these were something that was added later.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Alpine260--that is a great looking restored wheel. Is that the color all wheels came? I only ask as I thought they were more of a cream color. Either way that color would look good on a white car without a hub cap or trim ring.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Strengthening Rib

It is my understanding that all Tigers had stock steel wheels with the strengthening rib by the lug stud hole. The early Alpine wheels did not have them, but the later ones did (common wheels between the two models?). I don't know when the Alpines switched.

My Parts List Supplement for the Sunbeam "260" and "289" book (Publication No. 6601334. dated January 1967) lists only one wheel for Tigers - Part Number 1214930. I don't have a complete Alpine Parts List book to compare with, though.

David

Alpine260

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Alpine260--that is a great looking restored wheel. Is that the color all wheels came? I only ask as I thought they were more of a cream color. Either way that color would look good on a white car without a hub cap or trim ring.

yes its a beautiful wheel, but I used the image that Bill Waite uploaded in an early post on this thread to communicate the notch. no my wheel. wish it was!!!

Jeff F

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Some more pics for you. B9471573. Stamped 64 (hard to get a good pic through the paint).

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Concours restoration steel wheels

I've heard the color described as oyster white, creamy white with a snick of grey. :)