out of balance

defsailor

Bronze forum user
my Tiger has a 302 roller cam with Ford racing "X" cam (power comes on at 3900-7400 RPM), coupled with T5 with .68 overdrive, with 4.10 narrowed posi 8.8 rear end and 225/50/15" tires.
At one time I was planning on open track racing, hence the T-5 and aggressive cam, my Cobra racing buddy passed away and I'm not going to be open track racing as a rule...:rolleyes: ok maybe once or twice to try it!.
I had planned to change out the rear gears (only thing not new by me) for the track but now I want something more streetable and want to fool around with autocross. The problem is I 'm in 2nd gear before I get across an intersection, and I have to keep the rev's up to get any power. And.. gas mileage is horrible!

What would your first change be:
Cam: go to "F" cam or similar
T-5 change to .78 O.D.
rear end change to 3.23 or 3.55 ( I do love quick off the line)

I'm guessing cam first, maybe gears? I am open to ideas,
or am I screwed and need to change 2 things?

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Rear Gears

Big help in drivability by changing the rear end ratio to 3.31 or higher if you change the cam. Not likely to be reving much over 6,000?

Going back to the close ratio toploader would also solve the useless 1st gear problem.

Gas Mileage? Go as lean as it will run on primaries. Also use a vacuum advance distributor.

Tigerblue

whiskytangofoxtrot

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
In the 80's my tiger had 427 rear gears with a spool. I think it ran of of wind at 105 I put 3.31s in with the torsion limited slip it was a great change...now if I only had a fifth gear