electrical issue

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Having just completed my second partial restoration of my Tiger to include new wire harness. I have noticed a drain on the battery so I installed a cutoff switch for the time being and something I wanted to add anyway. I recently turned the battery cutoff on and my buddy noticed the gas gage needle rising WITHOUT THE IGNITION SWITCH TURNED ON. While I can probably figure this problem out I would love to get the answer and spend less time dealing with it. When I rewired the car I elliminated the voltage regulator using a 1 wire alternator, I'm sure this has nothing to do with the situation though the wires that normally hook up to the regulator are now capped off. Again probably not an issue. Thanks for any input you might have.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Buzzzz, poof!

I would be a bit more concerned about what electricians call "backfeeding" when juice is wandering around on it's own. Did you alter the ignition switch configuration? If not, then it remains that something in that particular companion circuit is mis-wired. If you have an original wiring diagram, follow the hot link from the gauge back thru the ign switch and trace what else shares that food link. . . . . . .

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Wiring

You may have plugged in your leads incorrectly to the ignition switch OR your ignition switch is bad. I assume you have a wiring diagram. The easiest check for inadvertent power with the ignition off is to first pull the fuses. If the fuel gauge stops working, put the fuses back in and verify that your wiring to and from the ignition switch is correct. The gauge wiring (white) should be plugged into post #2, which has no power when the ignition switch is in the off position. The wipers, temp gauge, turn signals and stop light all go through the same wiring as the fuel gauge. Do they also work with ignition off? They should not.

Post #2 also has the original ignition light attached to it, so if for some reason the 1 wire alternator ties into that ignition light wire AND is hot, it will activate your fuel gauge... and provide power to your other items as well on the same wiring.

Good luck.

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hey thought I would let you know your suggestion to remove fuses to see how fuel gauge would react led me to my problem/solution.
Embarrassed to say my power leads on the fuse box were reversed, switched side of electrical was on 24/7. Got it thank you...cheers, Don