California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum

Go Back   California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum > Tiger Technical - Personalized/Modified > Engine
New Threads

Old 12-27-2017, 06:08 PM
Platinum Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Default Sanderson Headers

I don't know how much help this is, but back in the early 70s, I installed a pair of Sanderson headers onto my Tiger without pulling the engine. However, I did have to pull the heads. I believe the new C.A.T. stainless steel headers have bigger tubes than did the Sandersons. Also, there may be differences in how the tubes are routed. Good luck with yours!
Old 12-27-2017, 06:39 PM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman View Post
Apologies for the ambiguity -- meant stainless steel.

Since Bill has reported there will be a new batch, I might be inclined to wait for them. In the past have they been installable without pulling the engine?

I just test fit my engine/headers in the engine compt.. Was able to raise the engine into position from the floor with the driver's side motor mount and header installed.

The pass. side was another story. Even with motor mount and header bolted loosely, I could not get it in place. I had to remove the motor mount and header and work it back and forth to get it in place. The motor mount has to go through the opening between the down pipes at an angle also. .. .and all this is with the front suspension out.

So don't know if it is impossible but I would say improbable with the engine, trans and suspension in place.

In the early 80's, I heard the clutch could not be replaced with the engine in place. I did it but it sure wasn't easy......
Old 01-07-2018, 12:38 AM
Forum Member

Alas, my blue monkey 289 is on the way to the LA shipyard, so I've made the tough decision to go with the rootes non-stainless headers in order to avoid two shipments and engine pulls. On the plus side, I've a 15" Derale fan blade on the way and will be able to shim it all in place at the same time.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:09 PM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Ceramic Coated CAT SS Headers

Last edited by Warren; 01-09-2018 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Fix non functional picture
Old 01-09-2018, 04:27 PM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Default Motor: BlueMonkey crate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman View Post
Alas, my blue monkey 289 is on the way to the LA shipyard, so I've made the tough decision to go with the rootes non-stainless headers in order to avoid two shipments and engine pulls. On the plus side, I've a 15" Derale fan blade on the way and will be able to shim it all in place at the same time.
Pitman,
While I was searching for a long block or crate motor I came across the BlueMonkey site and even "stalked"* their property in PHX AZ area. Please do let us know any special particulars about the motor and/or if you could spec to order?
*Stopped in to chat, but the desk guy was tied up and I had a biz meeting to get to. Warehouse type place, lots of palletized motors.

Best of luck,

DD (CA)
www.lifeofti.com
Old 01-12-2018, 09:54 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD (CA) View Post
Please do let us know any special particulars about the motor and/or if you could spec to order?
We spoke on the phone for about 30mins. Seems like a nice bloke. He's been rebuilding engines for ?30 ?40 years -- it's all he does. All to order (up to 6 weeks lead time, but mine done in 4), and his site lists a variety of brand suggestions, so he's clearly open to specs.

I wasn't very particular above and beyond his 'standard' balanced mild performance rebuild of a 5-bolt bellhousing 289 -- I asked for no more than a 0.04" bore, a stainless bolt kit (that he ordered himself off of the eBay site I referred him to), treated wood for the crate as per Australian customs, originally was going to change color which he's happy to do but kept his trademark blue (all parts painted disassembled), ground shipping anywhere in the US is included. He put the engine into a smaller than normal crate thinking it'd save me on ocrean freight from LA to Australia, which it didn't for my shipping company but it was thoughtful of him.