Shift box

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Any Chance to get the shift Box out with Engine/Gearbox in situ ? Have not tried yet but seems an exchange is needed because it tends to Stick in Gear...

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Have you tried to adjust the linkage 'in place' ?? Lots of good info on the 'net on that subject ;)

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes , I tried. All Gears in neutral and then a drill through the holes to check the proper Lineup. Even though it sometimes Sticks...

Redbaron

Bronze forum user
Hi Bernd,
yes it is possible to remove the gear linkage shift box with the box in the car,you will need to support the gear box when you remove the mtg and also the linkage and the lever from the box first.

norm1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes, I have replaced a clutch with the engine in place. I think I had to cut a hole in the tunnel to get to one of the top bolts.

Warren

Gold forum user
It's your car

I have seen nice spark plug like holes and 2" by 8" or the distance between the two top bolts hacked out. A client sent me a pic of a 10" by the width of the tunnel cut away on a MK2 he is restoring, about 2' it's pic attached. Some holes that are the same size as the spark plug holes would be tolerable and you could always use the rubber plugs and not a coffee can like my P.O. of my blue car did :(

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Terrible mod's just to get Access to the gearbox.
Perhaps my description was not quite proper. I was actually referring to the gear linkage Box mounted on left side of the Toploader...

Warren

Gold forum user
Oh my

Sorry, there is a small panel. Must remove carpet to see it . Held in by screws it on US driver's side to left of tunnel.

Redbaron

Bronze forum user
Bernd,
yes you have to remove the gearbox mtg rubber and the gearbox mtg bracket from under the car,it is easier if the car is on a hoist.
You can do it on the floor if the car is high enough,after you support the gearbox,remove the mtgs and then the three shift rod nuts on the gearbox levers,remove them, then unbolt the three bolts to gear box tailshaft,do not forget to remove lever first inside the car,then the shift box will drop down.

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Perfect and clear,thanks. Seems I can escape the whole process since it works now after a good clean with Brake Cleaner and regreasing the shift mechanism from the top . At least for 1st , 2nd & reverse. Sometimes a bit hard to shift from 2nd to 3rd. Perhaps a little finetune to 3rd /4th rod adjustment still needed...

Also changed the spring loaded centering Cups on the Shifter plus added some washer to increase spring load on the reverse Lockout. All together a good and tight shift feeling now with the terrible wagging of the shift lever remedied now. Hope it stays that way...