California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum

Go Back   California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum > Sunbeam Tiger > General Tiger Discussion

Old 11-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Forum Member

Default Fresh Air Vents

Can anybody tell me if there is a simple way to get to the fresh air vent control flap on the drivers side of a Mk1a. On my recently imported Californian Tiger the flap is rattling around, as though the hinge mechanism has bocome disconnected. There appears to be nothing mentioned in either the manual or Tiger Workshop notes. Thanks in advance.
Regds Grelley
Old 11-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Senior Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

I recently had the same situation and rebuilt it with a re-build kit from Sunbeam Specialties. It is not too difficult, but will require some patience. Generally, you will need to carfully remove the body air vents in front of the windscreen, then carfully grind/drill 4 rivets that hold the airbox in place (from the top of the car) at which point the airbox can be manuvered out from under the dash after disconnecting the drain hose and the pull lever. Once out there are a few more rivets to get rid of in order to get the rain shield out. After which the old door can be removed and the connection piece must be removed and put on the new door (more rivets) Then after applying the rubber/foam gasket on the new door, it is fairly simple to slide the new door/hinge and springs in place...then just put it all together (make sure the rain hose is clear first. All in all about an hour or 2 (I had to make a new rain shield as mine was missing). This should give you a good idea of what is involved. SS includes decent insturctions with the kit (or they will fax/e -mail it to you)....Good luck
Old 11-29-2011, 12:00 AM
Forum Member

Hi Growler, thank you very much for the info. Are the vent grilles held in by clips, and do they prise out of the scuttle?
Regds Grelley
Old 11-29-2011, 12:11 AM
Senior Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

They are held in by a single post on each side into a hole with a spring type clip (which shouldn't come out but save and re-use if it does). Use a plastic scraper, screwdiver wrapped in electrical tape, wood wedge or some other non scratching tool to pry one side alternating front and back. I also protect the car with something thin and non scratch (masonite, cardboard etc). Take your time and just keep wriggleing it up. I think I read somewhere that others used fishing line to pull up and wriggle
Old 11-29-2011, 12:13 AM
Senior Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

BTW which car did you get from Ca? Pictures?
Old 11-29-2011, 01:57 AM
Forum Member

Hi Growler, I bought 2 cars off Mike Lawrence. One, which I have is a 3 owner Mk1A which is absolutely standard, the other, which is still on its way is a slightly earlier car but has been fitted with a modified 302 and T5 gearbox. This car is a partially completed
project
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0816.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1435   Click image for larger version

Name:	tiger 25.10.11 007.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1436  
Old 11-29-2011, 03:35 AM
Senior Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

They are really nice cars.. love the MKIA.. the yellow car with fluted bonnet is the 302 i assume.. i would warn you to probably be careful of the stock wheels with more HP.. but a pitty as steels and caps with a warm motor would be an awesome sleeper! (i cant fit the steels over my bigger brakes.. i tried)

A better option.. swap the panasports to the yellow car.. and put the stock wheels + trims on the stock IA... perfect swap!

Michael King
1963 Alpine SII 1996>
1964 Tiger MKI 2009
1965 Alpine SIVGT 1994>
1965 Tiger MKI 2009-2012
1966 Tiger MKIA 2006>
Old 11-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Forum Member

Hi Michael, the std wheels were off the white car originally and were replaced by the Pannasports. There were no wheels for the yellow car, so the std wheels were kept in the US to ship the car on. It also has vented Willwoods, and the calipers had to be removed to fit the std wheels. The std wheels will end up back on the white Tiger.
Regds Grelley
Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Senior Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelley View Post
Hi Michael, the std wheels were off the white car originally and were replaced by the Pannasports. There were no wheels for the yellow car, so the std wheels were kept in the US to ship the car on. It also has vented Willwoods, and the calipers had to be removed to fit the std wheels. The std wheels will end up back on the white Tiger.
Regds Grelley
That makes sense.. my cars has the Dale wilwodd setup.. and yes caliprs would not clear stock wheels... you have bought both cars.. are you shipping them within the USA or are they going abroard?

Michael King
1963 Alpine SII 1996>
1964 Tiger MKI 2009
1965 Alpine SIVGT 1994>
1965 Tiger MKI 2009-2012
1966 Tiger MKIA 2006>
Old 11-29-2011, 11:15 PM
Forum Member

Hi Michael, I am in New Zealand. I have the white car registered and am driving it about, and carrying out running repairs such as heating and ventilation, door and window seals, new soft top and cover etc. At this point I am not sure how much work is required on the yellow one. The engine, gearbox, brakes, rear end and suspension are all mounted, and I think it is more detail work required. I believe the yellow car is in NZ but could be held up in the Auckland wharf strike. Hopefully I will see it in a couple of weeks.
Grelley