Need some restoration questions answered

Steve's Classic Cars

New forum user
My Name is Steve, and I am restoring a 1966 Tiger for a customer. Does anyone know what the correct outside mirrors look like and are they available. Also can anyone provide a correct dimension for locating them on the doors. The mirrors on this car were of different sizes, they were round, one 4.0 inches in diameter (drivers) and the other one was 4.5 Inches (passenger). The base has 2.5 inches between screws. We want to make this car as correct as possible, and fill the holes in the doors with weld if they are not needed, What kind of paint was on the car originally, was it Enamel, laquer, or single stage? The paint code is 86, British green??

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Hey Steve,

As far as I know, the outside mirrors were dealer installed and thus anything goes. I have a driver side bullet mirror only.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
questions

they were painted with enamel. the only factory installed mirror was the inside rear view mirror.

Warren

Gold forum user
Bullet Mirrors

I would get the stainless steel ones as the chrome is thin flash and of low quality and does not last.

They can get mounted higher on the fender so they are not easily bumped into. With 2 sheet metal screws for attachment you do not want them getting bumped much.
Just my 2 cents

Oh, and 86 is Forest Green use whatever the enviro Nazi's will allow in your state

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
The period correct mirror would be the Talbot Berlin 300 Junior
and is still being faithfully made and available here :

http://www.talbotco.com/talbot_mirror.htm

The price list is out of date by a bunch but I just bought one and the price was around $390.00. These are high quality mirrors also used on various
British cars and the Cobra.

Moondoggie

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Moondoggies is correct, the talbot Berlin Jr is the correct exterior mirror on a tiger. They were not installed at the factory but were the official rootes supplied option. On the early alpines they also used the delswift antena/mirror.

There are lots of period correct options. Mounting bullet mirrors on the leading part of the door looks good.. but they are not great for vision.. mounting them down on the front guard doesnt look as good but was popular especially in the Uk as the feild of vision is better.

If mounting on the door the wingard and walpress stem mirrors provide a better view.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Moondoggies is correct, the talbot Berlin Jr is the correct exterior mirror on a tiger. They were not installed at the factory but were the official rootes supplied option. On the early alpines they also used the delswift antena/mirror.

There are lots of period correct options. Mounting bullet mirrors on the leading part of the door looks good.. but they are not great for vision.. mounting them down on the front guard doesnt look as good but was popular especially in the Uk as the feild of vision is better.

If mounting on the door the wingard and walpress stem mirrors provide a better view.

I always wondered if there was an 'official' one :confused: ...

I know in the Tiger parts list ( Special accessories ) I've seen NO part #'s for mirrors but just looked in the Alpine parts list and I see 14 different part #'s !:eek:

In the more generic 'Sunbeam' accessories brochure they list about 10 including the Talbot

Jim
B382000446

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Black an Blue

I have no reason to believe that these mirrors were not dealer installed.

Both are late production Mk 1A Tigers. Please excuse the zits and garage debris. These cars are driven and the garage is not a museum.

There is no mirror on the left side! No need for single lane roads or where passing on the right is a no no. As in back in the day.

Rick

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
My mirror is very similar except that you can see the 2 screws in the slightly larger base. In fact it is almost identical to my GT350 mirror.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
The period correct mirror would be the Talbot Berlin 300 Junior

Yep, thats whats on my Tiger -

DSCN4052.jpg

Commodore Blues

New forum user
Correct Mirrors

The posts so far are completely correct there was no exterior mirrors delivered on the Tigers. Dealers elected to install them as an option. Some knowledgeable dealers used the accessories guide and some did not.
Here is a picture of my car as purchased new. Notice the square mirror most likely a Chrysler mirror. Also notice the electric antenna on the left rear quarter panel (wing).

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Paint code expert information

There is a really good article on paint codes and availabilities on this link to another clubs newletter at this link:

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/alpine_marque/issue_1.pdf

The newsletter also has an excellent article on Smith's clocks for Sunbeams.

The information provided looks correct to me; perhaps forum readers can advise if there are any errors.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Great info--I was interested in the paint article but ended up reading the whole thing.