New Wiring Harness

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just shorted out my fuel pump wire on my ‘66 1A and fried the wiring harness. I am reluctant to replace it with the same 2 circuit design. It makes me sick to think all I had to do was move the connection to the other side of the fuse to protect the fuel pump circuit, (or entire harness). Does anyone have an opinion on the use of the 12 circuit wiring harness for the Tiger/Alpine offered by www.petesperformancewiring.com? It looks like more work than the OEM harness but would have more long term flexibility and PROTECTION. He says he has sold about 50 units and it has only been available only a year.

Last edited:

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
When I built a couple street rods I bought the new wiring harnesses with the 12 circuit fuse panel. They are nice since everything is labeled and plenty of wires. I am not sure on the kit you are talking about but the ones I used were very nice and easy to install.

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
I'm very interested in getting one of these harnesses, as my car's wiring is a rat's nest from various previous owners' efforts. Anyone else on here have experience post-install?

John.

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My new wiring kit came today

Turned out it is a Rebel Wire kit. Appears to be quality with wires labeled every six inches as advertised. Has relays for low beam, high beam, and fuel pump. Had to buy a terminal kit because it does not include any terminals. Still deciding where to put the fuse/relay panel. Probably driver's side kick panel. Seller said some had installed under false floor on passenger's side but that would mean the tail light wires would have to be longer or run down the right side then jump across to the fuel sending unit. Still deciding on that. Plan to work on this over the next few days. Will be taking photos along the way to post with updates.

SouthDakotaTiger

Bronze forum user
I'm very interested in getting one of these harnesses, as my car's wiring is a rat's nest from various previous owners' efforts. Anyone else on here have experience post-install?

John.

Hi John

I sell the kits. I worked with Rebel Wire to create a kit that will work with both the Sunbeam Alpine/Tiger. I am happy to provide you with info regarding the kit if you want. As indicated in another post I have sold about 50 kits in just over a year. Buyers include both Alpine and Tiger owners. Buyers are located in the USA, Canada and a couple of European countries. I have installed them in my '67 Alpine, my '66 Tiger and my '66 V6 Alpine. I have also assisted a couple of buyers with their installations. I'm happy to help any of my customers as I want their cars to be both safe and reliable.

PM for more info

Last edited by a moderator:

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My 1A rewire project is complete!

I have completed the rewire project on my ’66 Tiger 1A and have a few comments and photos which I would like to share. I hope this article can be of benefit to any member planning the same project. The photos like I’ve taken would have been a great help to me in considering my options and establishing a direction. There’s not much of anything I wish I had done differently on this project. Everything worked when it was hooked up according to the wire labels and I didn’t cut any wires too short, or at least I haven’t realized it yet. I have many more photos that I won’t bother to post unless someone has a specific question that one of them might clarify.

I used the Rebel Wire kit from www.petesperformancewiring.com which has twelve fused circuits and three relays. A big plus is that it was designed for my car and all wires are labeled every six inches. I chose to put the fuse panel up high on the kick panel of the driver’s side. It is obviously larger than the OE two fuse panel out on top of the fender well and I thought it would crowd that area too much. I used fully insulated connectors similar to the OE because a partially bare connector at the fuel pump is what prompted this whole rewiring event. Photos 12-08-21 (19) and 12-08-28 (21) show the end result toward which I was working.

Photo 12-08-13 (3) shows what happens if you short your fuel pump to ground with the OE harness----a sad day indeed! If you are in an old English car and you think the guy in front of you is emitting smells of something burning, STOP!!! It might be you!!! I had pretty much completed assembling a basket case which included a new wiring harness and was beginning to drive the car around, looking for that “warm fuzzy feeling” of confidence that I now had a reliable driver. The wire split open from the fuel pump to the junction at the fuse box, from there to the ignition switch, and then to the starter solenoid.

Photo 12-08-13 (4) shows my burnt harness taken apart to salvage the good wires that connect from switch to switch. These wires would have had to be made up with connectors on both ends anyway. As I had mentioned, my harness was new before this happened, so I kept the benefit of having the good insulated connectors and the wire colors per the OE Tiger wiring diagram. None of these were damaged by the meltdown.

Photo 12-08-14 (2) shows the mounting I created for the fuse panel assembly. It is made from .25” x 1” aluminum rails mounted on .5” diameter X .5” long nylon spacers. This gave me the .75” clearance for the wire bulge on the underside of the fuse panel. The two rails are tapped #10-32 and match the pattern on the fuse panel assembly. Both are identical. All of this material can be found @ Lowe’s or Home Depot.

Per the instructions, I began wiring the lights first to get them out of the way. Photo 12-08-16 (3) shows where I ran all of the wires that weren’t connected to any switches in the dash to the engine compartment. These would be the front lights as well as engine control wires, all for the right side of the car. I put them in the wire conduit to keep it neat and it would also help the job appear less intimidating. Please note that the high quality SXL wire has a sticky feel and doesn’t slide particularly well when bundled, so avoid placing the wire in the conduit twisted, just in case you need to pull one wire further through or back in the other direction. They would have taken up less space to wrap them with tape, but if I need to pull one out or add a wire in the future, it would be messy. Just a note: all switch wires run from switch-to-switch, switch-to-apparatus, or toward the fuse panel.

Photo 12-08-20 (2) shows where I put the wires I didn’t use, (Electric Choke, Radio, Oil Pressure Gauge, Generator Light, and Accessory). Most are hot, coming from the fuse panel, and so I taped the ends before I rolled them up and dropped them behind the false floor for possible future use. Some are plenty long. The Accessory wire is probably 8’-10’ long. Note that if it is one that is not connected on either end, then it can be pulled either direction. This is true only if it is in the conduit and not wrapped with tape as mentioned earlier.

Photo 12-08-21 (6) shows the panel mounted, with left front light wires through the firewall and tail light, fuel gauge, and FUEL PUMP wires headed down and toward the rear. Notice the short ground wire for the relays. My car had an OE ¼-28 tapped hole there, (near my upper left mounting hole), which I conveniently used. I’m not sure what it was intended for, possibly a speaker mount, but it didn’t appear to have ever been used.

Photo 12-08-21 (15) shows were I had all of the switches working before I began putting the dash board back in place. The loose wires are for the gauges and panel lights. I cut them to length and added the connectors as the gauges went in.

I found it to be very practical to install the dashboard without anything attached except the heater controls. I used those empty gauge holes to hook up the heater control cables and to access the wiring to tidy things up; creating maximum space to access the back of the gauges later.

Additional Notes:
This kit comes with the brake light wire split off for a third brake light. I plan to shop for one and am looking for ideas that exclude drilling any holes.
I ran my cooling fan signal wire to the accessory terminal on my ignition switch, so in an overheating situation I can switch off the engine and still have cooling in process. My cooling fan power supply wire has its own fuse and connects directly to my Ford 3G one wire alternator terminal.
I powered my tach and voltmeter off of the input side of the voltage stabilizer. It has an extra tab and the supply is fused.
The daisy chain instrument lights and ground wires don’t come with the kit, so you’ll have to use your old ones. Hope yours are good enough to use in a new and improved setup.
Photo 12-08-16 (01) is the layout of the fuse panel supplied with the kit. Column on the right contains fuses for everything that has power all the time. The four circuits in the middle only have power during “ignition switch on.”
The four on the left are powered during both “ignition switch on” and “accessory switch on.”
As far as I can see, the only unfused wires are those that supply current to and from the ignition switch.

I hope this has been a big help to some and anyone reading this article has my permission to use any information herein as you wish.

Attachments

• 12-08-13 (3).JPG
    12-08-13 (3).JPG
    174 KB · Views: 468
  • 12-08-21 (19).JPG
    12-08-21 (19).JPG
    167 KB · Views: 655
  • 12-08-28 (21).JPG
    12-08-28 (21).JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 390
  • 12-08-13 (4).JPG
    12-08-13 (4).JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 476
  • 12-08-14 (2).JPG
    12-08-14 (2).JPG
    154 KB · Views: 391
  • 12-08-16 (3).JPG
    12-08-16 (3).JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 803
  • 12-08-20 (2).JPG
    12-08-20 (2).JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 499
  • 12-08-21 (6).JPG
    12-08-21 (6).JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 407
  • 12-08-21 (15).JPG
    12-08-21 (15).JPG
    172 KB · Views: 2,471
  • 12-08-16 (1).JPG
    12-08-16 (1).JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
After looking at my wiring, the wire looks ok but the some of the terminals are looking very sad. This maybe a good time to re-wire the car with a more modern system.
How much of the existing wiring needs to be retained ?.

e0661e44.jpg

SouthDakotaTiger

Bronze forum user
After looking at my wiring, the wire looks ok but the some of the terminals are looking very sad. This maybe a good time to re-wire the car with a more modern system.
How much of the existing wiring needs to be retained ?.

e0661e44.jpg

A couple thoughts regarding re-wiring your Sunbeam:

Insulation on new wiring kits from Rebel, Painless, EZ, and some others is superior to the older original "plastic" insulation. It is more resistant to gas, oil, and, most important, heat. The insulation on the original wiring is over 40 years old and is prone to cracking and disintegration. Short circuits and fire potential is a real possibility.

More circuits/fuses in modern kits are also safer and permit easier checking of all electrical items.

Dedicated circuits for various functions contribute to both ease of installation and safety. Elimination of snap connectors in the circuits reduces the chance of corrosion causing voltage drops and/or sudden power loss.

When using one of my kits you do not need to retain any of your original wiring. However, some of my customers elect to keep and reuse the black daisy chain that grounds the dash switches and dash lights. Some use the original daisy chain for a model and construct a new one from new SXL or GXL wire. Also, you need to retain the original wires used for dash gauge lighting or else make "new" ones.

The Rebel kit I sell is the only contemporary multi-circuit available designed specifically for Tigers and Alpines. The British Wiring kit is a fine product but retains the original 2 circuit system. Also, each wire in The Rebel kit is labeled every 6 inches for use/function. The Brit kit requires you to use an appropriate Sunbeam wiring diagram to ensure proper hookups.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions.

From sunny South Dakota, Pete. www.petesperformancewiring.com

Last edited:

SouthDakotaTiger

Bronze forum user
Thanks for the great write up and photos! I'm sure it will be both an inspiration and help to others who are considering rewiring their Sunbeams! Thanks again! Pete

I have completed the rewire project on my ’66 Tiger 1A and have a few comments and photos which I would like to share. I hope this article can be of benefit to any member planning the same project. The photos like I’ve taken would have been a great help to me in considering my options and establishing a direction. There’s not much of anything I wish I had done differently on this project. Everything worked when it was hooked up according to the wire labels and I didn’t cut any wires too short, or at least I haven’t realized it yet. I have many more photos that I won’t bother to post unless someone has a specific question that one of them might clarify.

I used the Rebel Wire kit from www.petesperformancewiring.com which has twelve fused circuits and three relays. A big plus is that it was designed for my car and all wires are labeled every six inches. I chose to put the fuse panel up high on the kick panel of the driver’s side. It is obviously larger than the OE two fuse panel out on top of the fender well and I thought it would crowd that area too much. I used fully insulated connectors similar to the OE because a partially bare connector at the fuel pump is what prompted this whole rewiring event. Photos 12-08-21 (19) and 12-08-28 (21) show the end result toward which I was working.

Photo 12-08-13 (3) shows what happens if you short your fuel pump to ground with the OE harness----a sad day indeed! If you are in an old English car and you think the guy in front of you is emitting smells of something burning, STOP!!! It might be you!!! I had pretty much completed assembling a basket case which included a new wiring harness and was beginning to drive the car around, looking for that “warm fuzzy feeling” of confidence that I now had a reliable driver. The wire split open from the fuel pump to the junction at the fuse box, from there to the ignition switch, and then to the starter solenoid.

Photo 12-08-13 (4) shows my burnt harness taken apart to salvage the good wires that connect from switch to switch. These wires would have had to be made up with connectors on both ends anyway. As I had mentioned, my harness was new before this happened, so I kept the benefit of having the good insulated connectors and the wire colors per the OE Tiger wiring diagram. None of these were damaged by the meltdown.

Photo 12-08-14 (2) shows the mounting I created for the fuse panel assembly. It is made from .25” x 1” aluminum rails mounted on .5” diameter X .5” long nylon spacers. This gave me the .75” clearance for the wire bulge on the underside of the fuse panel. The two rails are tapped #10-32 and match the pattern on the fuse panel assembly. Both are identical. All of this material can be found @ Lowe’s or Home Depot.

Per the instructions, I began wiring the lights first to get them out of the way. Photo 12-08-16 (3) shows where I ran all of the wires that weren’t connected to any switches in the dash to the engine compartment. These would be the front lights as well as engine control wires, all for the right side of the car. I put them in the wire conduit to keep it neat and it would also help the job appear less intimidating. Please note that the high quality SXL wire has a sticky feel and doesn’t slide particularly well when bundled, so avoid placing the wire in the conduit twisted, just in case you need to pull one wire further through or back in the other direction. They would have taken up less space to wrap them with tape, but if I need to pull one out or add a wire in the future, it would be messy. Just a note: all switch wires run from switch-to-switch, switch-to-apparatus, or toward the fuse panel.

Photo 12-08-20 (2) shows where I put the wires I didn’t use, (Electric Choke, Radio, Oil Pressure Gauge, Generator Light, and Accessory). Most are hot, coming from the fuse panel, and so I taped the ends before I rolled them up and dropped them behind the false floor for possible future use. Some are plenty long. The Accessory wire is probably 8’-10’ long. Note that if it is one that is not connected on either end, then it can be pulled either direction. This is true only if it is in the conduit and not wrapped with tape as mentioned earlier.

Photo 12-08-21 (6) shows the panel mounted, with left front light wires through the firewall and tail light, fuel gauge, and FUEL PUMP wires headed down and toward the rear. Notice the short ground wire for the relays. My car had an OE ¼-28 tapped hole there, (near my upper left mounting hole), which I conveniently used. I’m not sure what it was intended for, possibly a speaker mount, but it didn’t appear to have ever been used.

Photo 12-08-21 (15) shows were I had all of the switches working before I began putting the dash board back in place. The loose wires are for the gauges and panel lights. I cut them to length and added the connectors as the gauges went in.

I found it to be very practical to install the dashboard without anything attached except the heater controls. I used those empty gauge holes to hook up the heater control cables and to access the wiring to tidy things up; creating maximum space to access the back of the gauges later.

Additional Notes:
This kit comes with the brake light wire split off for a third brake light. I plan to shop for one and am looking for ideas that exclude drilling any holes.
I ran my cooling fan signal wire to the accessory terminal on my ignition switch, so in an overheating situation I can switch off the engine and still have cooling in process. My cooling fan power supply wire has its own fuse and connects directly to my Ford 3G one wire alternator terminal.
I powered my tach and voltmeter off of the input side of the voltage stabilizer. It has an extra tab and the supply is fused.
The daisy chain instrument lights and ground wires don’t come with the kit, so you’ll have to use your old ones. Hope yours are good enough to use in a new and improved setup.
Photo 12-08-16 (01) is the layout of the fuse panel supplied with the kit. Column on the right contains fuses for everything that has power all the time. The four circuits in the middle only have power during “ignition switch on.”
The four on the left are powered during both “ignition switch on” and “accessory switch on.”
As far as I can see, the only unfused wires are those that supply current to and from the ignition switch.

I hope this has been a big help to some and anyone reading this article has my permission to use any information herein as you wish.

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My OE harness was new when I fried it.

I re-used some of my existing wiring (as mentioned in my article) for convienience only because my OE harness was new when I fried it.

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
Just ordered mine. Won't be ready for wiring for a while, but I have a history of waiting too long and missing out. Thanks for the write-up.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
I have my fuse box mounted, solenoid wired and ign switch wired. Power going into the ign switch. I don't seem to be getting any current coming out of any other terminals with the key in any postion. Has my ign switch died.

Last edited:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
By the numbers

I have my fuse box mounted, solenoid wired and ign switch wired. Power going into the ign switch. I don't seem to be getting any current coming out of any other terminals with the key in any postion. Has my ign switch died.

It's unlikely that all the contacts died at the same time, or, just the input contact has croaked. Anyway, ign switches have numbered contacts. So, compare the numbers with a standard wire diagram to make certain you are powering the correct contact and go from there.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
It's unlikely that all the contacts died at the same time, or, just the input contact has croaked. Anyway, ign switches have numbered contacts. So, compare the numbers with a standard wire diagram to make certain you are powering the correct contact and go from there.

Looks as though the input has died. Hot wired it and now have power through to other wires. Should of thought of it yesturday, but it was time to walk away.
Cheers.