Scottsdale Auctions 2014

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
May actually sneak down... anyone else do(ing) this?

Some Tigers up on the block too, but can't figure out WHEN. I have biz trip opportunity, that might allow some extra time... looks like end of week is best / highest value, but I just want to catch a glimpse of some, take some pics and get out... Can find out how they did $$$ wise later...

Any tips? Kinda surprised there aren't more posts down here for AZ this time of year...

I've wanted to see this $%^&storm for a long time...maybe I'll get to this time.

Gooding:
LOT #8 White 1966 #B9473212 LRXFE (?)
http://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1966-sunbeam-tiger-mk-i/

B-J:
LOT #1164 Yellow 1967 #382002176
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=1164&aid=525

LOT #803 Red 1966 Rootes Titled #382001370
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=803&aid=525

Bonhams:
LOT #136 Silver 1966 Lots of Pics #382001478
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21392/lot/136/#/MR0_page=1&MR0_length=10&MR0_category=list&q0=sunbeam&MR0_currency=USD&m0=0

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The yellow car is "intersting" like it was quickly finished to sell... does have UK minilites which is somewhat rare stateside.

silver car has some rough edges but looks like a fun car... then again.. i am biased! :)

The white one i am sure i have seen before (maybe late last year) when a guy in AU was looking to but a Tiger.. and think it was at a shop being finished... they wanted 75K at the time IIRC.

red cars link was the yellow one again.

will eb intersting to see what they all fo for.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I sure like the white ext/red int.......maybe their estimates mean the prices are climbing.

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
'67 MKII(?) #1146 and BJ comments

Couple comments...
A) I don't know enough to be certain of anything yet, so take my car comments with grain of salt.
B) The color combination is really quite pretty. The $55K example on EBay now looks to be better done and more luxurious IMHO.
C) Lots of interest from passersby, most knowing what a Tiger was, but not always clear on the facts. If taking pictures a crowd would gather.
D) One may see the original paint poking through (on windowframe original anyway)...#100 Med Blue.
E) Neither Tiger had their engine bonnets open to allow view of motor / tags. At least the Red '66 had a pic on display. When asked, the BJ staff explained they were not allowed to open the hoods, as some owners may prefer not to open them. Um... yes...
F) The rear wings sure seemed WIDE relative to the tailights...
G) The front quarters seemed relatively small to the peaked headlight rims...
H) Yes, LOTS of custom / personalized bits on this yellow one.
I) Underside sprayed black, over everything, including fascia.
J) The Series One next to the Red Tiger was fortunate...for the Tiger seller.
K) Probably 12+ Cobra re-creations for sale...and only one Cobra (a King Cobra, next to Schumi's ex test F1 chassis.)

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I have seen many Sunbeams with the "wide" area around the taillight. Great spy pics--keep them coming. :)

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Spy pics cont... MKII

Just tried to take pics from lots of angles in case it helps someone here decide to buy it under market value (yeah, right) and flip it for $100K and kindly share the proceeds with me... :D

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Last ones of MKII

Sorry, wish I could post a bunch more than 10 per post. Guess that's where the album would come in handy....

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Non Sunbeams...

I had some favorites, many in the same color. Seeing as there are 1500+ lots (cars) going up for sale, there are plenty to choose from...

1) Mini GT-40
- Actual runner, just small scale. Amazing.
2) "Gulf" Bronco
- This car, as were all from Galpin, just plain amazing detail. Art. True art.
3) Hot Wheels Dragsters and Support Trucks
- Wow
4) FJ-40 Flawless
- As if off of showroom. Beauty.
5) Bonus...
- Can you spot and ID a (semi)celebrity or two?

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
At least with all the tonneau studs along the door's edge your you can rest assured that your arm will remain elevated above the painted surface to help maintain that no scratch finish.

Looks to me like wind wings are just clip-on. I don't see any fasteners so remove before driving?

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Recap: red 67.2, yellow 41.0

Can anyone determine if the yellow was MKII or not... ?

Warren

Gold forum user
Incomplete vin

Wow great job! The yellow car to be a MK 2 would need the vin correctly listed with a B3821 then the rest of the digits.

No hoods open? at owners request? I would have laughed out loud.

Recall that vehicles in Cali. were titled the 1st. year they were sold back then.

It seems a mockery to me of the term Personalized with some of the git er done and to market fixes. With one car showing no plastic motif piece and one with a hub cap sticker for the horn button leaves me puzzled. I do know that the plastic motif has been out of stock from S.S. for some time but holy cow.

Warren

Gold forum user
Maybe this?

B382002176_CA_Asigned_ID.jpg (1 of 1) 01-19-2014 08:28 AM
Under the pic of the engine compartment lies this name of the photo. I have seen these in the old location on the drivers door jamb, did they crop it out of this pic?
Unknowing buyers get nervous when they see the yucky blue tag slammed on by a DMV type. Closing that hood saves a lot of explanation even if the original tag is affixed. We can look now to see if STOA has this beast TACed on their site but general public doesn't know that fact.

When I imported a BMW in the 80's I had to put the vin on the steering col. so per F.M.V.S.S. it could be seen from outside if car. This was earlier then the vin being added under screen on drivers side regulation.

Just out of curiosity what do you suppose this fishing expedition cost seller if no sale is done? How does auction company if car sells later from a nibble at their auction do they still get paid something? Be interesting to see a listing contract and compare them, well if we were going to sell.

Oh and that silver car one of us at one time with the CAT lic. plate frame. I can't imagine selling a car at auction or where ever with bailing wire in place of the rear exhaust hangers. At least it looks to be silver Monel safety wire and not a rusty coat hanger

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I switched to plastic hangers years ago after securing all of my exhaust pipes in the cars.... :)
I have a friend that attends a lot of these auctions with his cars--as far as I know you pay a fee up front (usually around $400) and if there is a no sale that's it--I am sure if they find out a sale took place at or around their auction you would owe something. Just my 2 cents.