EBAY MkII

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Will be interesting to see what bids it draws. The wheel arch lips and the profile on the lower left rear winds look liek they have not been done very well and the cheap dash is a bit sad, mnissin gcorrect MKII speedo which will be a pain to find.. and a few other odds and ends that arent quite great.... but its a TAC'd MKII.. so a decent place to start. Assume you have the info for the original JAL norm?

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Looks Like a Nice Car

The seller appears to try to tell it like it is. Overall, not a bad car. I chuckled when I saw the Mark 2 badge instead of the Sunbeam V8. Also missing appear to be the rocker panel trim pieces (also very hard to find), the correct windshield washer bottle (did not look like the fat one, and the one shown had the brass fitting in the top) which is also hard to find, and the trim piece under the eggcrate grill - fairly easy to find. Did anybody else question the radio - was it the one that would have been supplied originally?

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Were the MkII dash boards striped like that? I have never seen that type of wood on a Tiger.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Mark II Dashboards

Were the MkII dash boards striped like that? I have never seen that type of wood on a Tiger.

My dashboard is not striped like that. I don't think there was any differences in the wood between the Mk 1As and the Mk IIs.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
MKII

..... but its a TAC'd MKII.. so a decent place to start. Assume you have the info for the original JAL norm?[/QUOTE said:
TAC ? It is a Tiger. The JAL missing and the ID plate not attached with original rivets. That does diminish value if not also raise a question one or two.

Rick

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
TAC ? It is a Tiger. The JAL missing and the ID plate not attached with original rivets. That does diminish value if not also raise a question one or two.

Rick

Rick,

The car has run through TAC and has its VIN.. but the JAL tag is missing. I would assume norm has the number for it as he has the ledgers. Missing JAl can happen during a resto.. have herad of peoepl losing them.. the riverts are again another issue.. but car has been passed.. so thats one worry gone.

As i said.. a few missing parts, some hard to find.. also there are small things like the ST style instead of GT style 1/4 light bases. Long and the short.. its a MKII you can use.. but some of the body work appears less than brilliant.. the sills also seem a little odd ..it really depends what it sells for.

At the right price you can strip it down and put it right again.. but its probably going to sell for to much money to do that.

Warren

Gold forum user
How spot on

A MK2 you can use. If you follow what the whole car community is doing there would be rivets and tags that were correct. Maybe it's like a cartoon I saw at the local building dept. The designer was asking the contractor to hollow out the 2"x 4" and then nail it from the inside. The cartoon was strategically placed next to the time honored, laughing man "You want it when?,"

Do those guys with the pointy pencils at Pebble Beach mark off a Tiger with non original rivets? Clearly they could have done a nicer job on lots of things.

Pretty easy to flip over a SAL tag re hit it with common font stamps. Which reminds me of a joke where a farmer grows a apple tree........ oh sorry o/t and R rated.

P. Scofield

Black arm band member RIP
Will be interesting to see what bids it draws. The wheel arch lips and the profile on the lower left rear winds look liek they have not been done very well and the cheap dash is a bit sad, mnissin gcorrect MKII speedo which will be a pain to find.. and a few other odds and ends that arent quite great.... but its a TAC'd MKII.. so a decent place to start. Assume you have the info for the original JAL norm?

Mike, I thought the same. Front valence to wheel well arch looks a bit strange, trunk has a HUGE gap at the bottom of lid, and some other strange body lines. My guess is this was a pretty rusty example, repaired by someone unfamiliar with the car. The ID tag makes me real nervous. Not a MKII I would want to pay a high price for. No pictures of the Fuel Pump in the trunk? So if the SS trim (not alluminum) was taken off for paint, where is it?

Last edited:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
e bay

the trunk lid looks like any other trunk lid that is not latched. the JAL tag or the SAL tags are the same size, shape and thickness as the original parts tags that were attached to replacement body panels from rootes and since tags are not required for a TAC it would be easy to recreate the JAL tag by using one of the parts tags.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Pot Stirrings !!

Well, both cars certainly have "history" enough to chew fat on. Our shop experience has spotted a few body repair issues that can/should be redone. All in all, they are still just an expensive toy to play with . . . . .

Warren

Gold forum user
What I meant was

It is a real P.I.T.A. to paint a car with the tags in place.
When some paint shop monkey drills them out oh well,

What what is that song by Rod Stewart every picture tells a story, also the name of an album. Every car tells a story too. While its fun to look at just the pictures , behind the scenes story is always more interesting.

It would be interesting to know , what year the previous owners played Lego with the car.

I suggested making a new JAL tag , only as stage dressing .
A fact to be disclosed as if it was a piece of California real estate in a three-page transfer disclosure statement , just like where and how bad its rust issues were . Most heavily traded muscle cars,can be cloned way too easily .

Last year a fellow Sunbeamer brought a Alpine into California and the DMV put their own non removable VIN tag with the same body number as the VIN number.

Now speaking of stupid monkeys , where did I read that the paint shop had removed all the tags , including the TAC . That owner also mislaid or lost his certificate, he had asked if he had to go through the whole thing again . I think he was in the Mid West.

Below a trans tag sold today link.
I hope the Alger that sold lately with the donor vin tag doesn't get a make over.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=251456377067

Last edited:

Pantera351

New forum user
I just posted a question about this car in the "for sale" section of this forum. I have been communicating with the seller of this car and asked if he wanted to trade for my '74 Pantera. He asked for a value on my car and I stated $65k and he replied that he valued the Tiger between 60 and 70K (coincidently!) Now I see that the reserve has been met at $50k. I don't know if, given the questions raised about this car that I should be seriously considering it anymore. We'll see.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
If you look at the bid history it jumped $10k in one bid--you have to wonder if it was his neighbor bidding just to reach the reserve? At least now the next poor fella who bids owns it.....:eek:

Warren

Gold forum user
What a croc

So it met reserve so what! It's another unenforceable contract. How many times does the buyer skip and a item get re listed. The seller eats the fees or the prospective buyer gets a free look at his item reviews the bid price and possibly walks. If he is a good buyer he offers up eBay fees as liquidated damages but seller has to take his lumps and like it....... the day that eBay can provide specific performance on their contract will be the day Hell is frozen over.

I hate to be so mean on your birthday but Happy birthday anyway.

leepear

Gold forum user
Every specialized vehicle should have a keeper of the records (Norm). Last year a 1970 442 W-30 convertible 4 speed (I am the keeper of these records) sold for $360k at auction to one of my collector friends. Fully documented rally red car. Every piece of documentation was counterfeit and the buyer received a full refund from the auction house. What would have have been the best in the world sold at the highest price ever became a black eye for a pretty well know auto restorer. Final resale auction of the car was still pretty good considering: http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=772&aid=467 . Also Norm is responsive when we ask him a question. I don't ever comment on a 1970-1 442 w-30 convertible. I just verify based on my records. Documented/verified specialty Oldsmobile's are worth approximately $100k more than non documented cars. I am only tracking a few hundred cars. 5,000 tigers would be really hard.Lee

Last edited: