Going alternator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PITT40

Gold forum user
If I get a 1 wire alternator, do I need to tie any of the regulator wires together to complete any circuits? Or just keep them taped up and separated?

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have a 1 wire alternator set up with stok wiring. I'm out of town now, but can give you the particulars of how it is set up when I get home. Not a big deal really...

Cheers, -Kevin

PITT40

Gold forum user
Thanks. I did it to my first Tiger in the 80's (may dad did it and I assisted really). I vaguely remember that there is a circuit that you need to complete on the voltage reg or something.

Doctorbugz

Bronze forum user
Alternative Alternator

Just in case you want to have the car look more original, there is a Powermaster alternator (PowerGEN 28101) that looks just like the original Ford generator. They are available in one-wire and two-wire (ignition dash light) versions. I've installed them in several Tigers and other Ford cars. Unlike the OEM generators, these will tolerate high RPM engines without exploding (ask me how I know!)
Bugz

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Just in case you want to have the car look more original, there is a Powermaster alternator (PowerGEN 28101) that looks just like the original Ford generator.

And will remove $400 out of your wallet. I absolutely love the mini racing alt I have. #1 plug is completely accessible too!

271572_1830639051369_480644_o.jpg

Older pic but you get the idea.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
And will remove $400 out of your wallet. I absolutely love the mini racing alt I have. #1 plug is completely accessible too!

271572_1830639051369_480644_o.jpg

Older pic but you get the idea.

Duke,
How many amps is that mini alternator good for?
Cheers, -Kevin

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Duke,
How many amps is that mini alternator good for?
Cheers, -Kevin

50...way more than you will need. I can drive (HP fuel pump and MSD dizzy, blaster coil) at night with brights on, heater on max, emergency flashers on and still blow the horns!

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Here's a pic of that Alternator from the passenger side when I had it ( I sold it to Duke ) and you can see it takes up very little room. They actually come in amp ranges from 35 all the way up to 100 but as Duke says, his is more than adequate as the stock gennie only puts out 30.
I prefer a 3 wire hookup though as you can then power up the gen light on the dash... a pretty quick indicator if you ever throw the belt if nothing else! :rolleyes:
Lots of those Denso alts on eBay... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050890.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xmini+denso+alternator&_nkw=mini+denso+alternator&_sacat=6000

Jim
B382000446

Billm

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Alternator conversion

Duke and Jim, what type of brackets did you use for the alt. I would love to have access to the number one plug. Thanks Bill

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Duke and Jim, what type of brackets did you use for the alt. I would love to have access to the number one plug. Thanks Bill

The tube spacers are 1.5”
The aluminum plates are ½”

I put a 2” grid on each template for scaling.

Altbracketscan_zpsd88db3ab.jpeg

003_zpsc976580d.jpg

0022_zpsa248fba4.jpg

001a_zps5197b855.jpg

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Bill...

I just carved out a couple of pieces of 1/2" x 4" aluminum flat bar and used standoffs back to the head to line it up...
I think Duke has mentioned that he's made patterns from those. I'm sure he would share...:cool:

edit: Oops, I see he beat me to it lol! :D

Jim
B382000446

chirodoc

Gold forum user
ALTERNATOR MOUNTING

Sandy @ GTS SPARKPLUG.COM used a Moroso mounting kit, also check at SPEEDWAY MOTORS. I used a Fairlane generator bracket which required surgery to make clearance from the inner fenderwell for a GM 1 wire alternator.

PITT40

Gold forum user
Duke told me that he removed the voltage regulator to go to a 1 wire alternator that he connected the brown & brown w/yellow and just taped up the brown w/green wire. When I did this my dash ignition light came on with the key in the off position.

Any idea what I may be doing wrong? Or how I need to do it? I have not yet connected my alternator to the system.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Duke told me that he removed the voltage regulator to go to a 1 wire alternator that he connected the brown & brown w/yellow and just taped up the brown w/green wire. When I did this my dash ignition light came on with the key in the off position.

Any idea what I may be doing wrong? Or how I need to do it? I have not yet connected my alternator to the system.

When you connect the brown to the brown/yellow wires, you are connecting the battery (via the brown wires) directly to the dash light. I must have removed the bulb from mine. Because the alt has the voltage regulator internal, those wires need to be connected togeter and the alt will send power to the system and battery through the brown/yellow only.

I initially missed my red light but installed a volt meter in place of the amp meter and am very happy with it.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member

Ah Crap... I forgot to back to you on this. I have the a one-wire setup that works as advertised. My brown/yellow wire from the ignition light is connected to the heavy gauge brown/yellow that heads from the regulator to the alternator. At the alternator, the brown/yellow is connected to the excitation wire - your color may vary. The power wire from the alternator has a heavy gauge additional wire that goes to the starter solenoid battery connection. My brown/green is taped off and does nothing.

Hope that helps... -Kevin

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
going alternator warning...

Going with an alternator is recommended, but be sure to upgrade the wire capacity from the alternator all the way through to the solenoids battery connection. The Tiger generator only put out 30 amps, so even putting in a 50 amp alternator can cook the current wires and start a fire. You could just add an additional heavy wire, but I plan to replace the original wire with one heavy brown wire looking just like the original. It requires just stripping back the tape wrapping on the harness, replacing the wire and rewrapping with new harness tape. The supplies are readily available on line at

http://www.britishwiring.com/default.asp

Perhaps one of our electrical engineer members can give us the minimum recommendations for the wire replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.