15" Tire Sizes

CLGTiger

Bronze forum user
Hi All, I know there are many threads on tire sizes, but I'm still not sure exactly what size will fit so I wonder if anyone has a definitive answer?

I just acquired a set of 15" Silverstone IIs for my 66 Mk1A w/stock body [fenders not rolled] and suspension. Wheels are 6" wide with 24mm offset. My thinking for the front is 195/50 and 205/55 for the rear....that is, 50 profile in the front so as to avoid any clearance issues w/the lower valance and 55 in the rear to give it a slight rake and fill the wheel well. I would also experiment w/1/4" spacer on the rear to bring the tire out a little.

Looking for feedback on this strategy...has anyone tried anything similar?

All feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Email cgennone@stablesgroup.com if that's more convenient.

CLGTiger

Bronze forum user
Hi All, I know there are many threads on tire sizes, but I'm still not sure exactly what size will fit so I wonder if anyone has a definitive answer?

I just acquired a set of 15" Silverstone IIs for my 66 Mk1A w/stock body [fenders not rolled] and suspension. Wheels are 6" wide with 24mm offset. My thinking for the front is 195/50 and 205/55 for the rear....that is, 50 profile in the front so as to avoid any clearance issues w/the lower valance and 55 in the rear to give it a slight rake and fill the wheel well. I would also experiment w/1/4" spacer on the rear to bring the tire out a little.

Looking for feedback on this strategy...has anyone tried anything similar?

All feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Email cgennone@stablesgroup.com if that's more convenient.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If the car is lowered via age on springs at front a 195 might still touch a little when on lock with the outside tyres leading outer edge. 185 would probably be safest but not as easy to buy. 195/50 " should" be ok.

Also depending on the depth of the casting at the centre of the rim on the rear wheels careful about how much thread depth you have with spacers.. You want at least 9 turns

CLGTiger

Bronze forum user
If the car is lowered via age on springs at front a 195 might still touch a little when on lock with the outside tyres leading outer edge. 185 would probably be safest but not as easy to buy. 195/50 " should" be ok.

Also depending on the depth of the casting at the centre of the rim on the rear wheels careful about how much thread depth you have with spacers.. You want at least 9 turns

Thanks for that. I will go w/the 195/50 on the front. What do you think of the 205/55 on the rear? What do you think looks better...205/55 or 205/50?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
On the rear you have to take into account ride height and the overall rolling radius of the rear wheels and the location of sidewall based on rim width/spacers. If the seam of the lip has not been trimmed or rolled on bumps or cornering.. Or with people/ luggage it may touch.. Really depends on your car.

As for looks.. That's purely personal. I like a bit more sidewall on tyres as it looks more period ( less fast and furious low profile lsrge wheel) and also helps ride quality which the suspension was designed with.

You have to watch mixing and matching front to rear.. My gut feel is 195/50 front and 205/55 rear will make the front sidewall look very lowml compared to rear profile.. A bit dragster.

This is just my opinion re: aesthetics.. I personally like 14" with 195/60 front and rear or 205/60 rear if available... But again just my .02...

The advice on lip interference is a check and measure.

For your reference. My car.. I like the stance. First 2 photos are 195/60/14 front and rear.. Last pic is 195/60/14 front 205/65/14 rear

Attachments

• DSC_0595.jpg
    DSC_0595.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 151
  • user43_pic513_1461500637.jpg
    user43_pic513_1461500637.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 153
  • mmexport1502977728483.jpg
    mmexport1502977728483.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 161