15" wheels

mgmike69

Bronze forum user
I"m sure this subject has been covered before.However I couldn't find an answer so I shall ask it anyway.I plan on running 15" wheels on my 65 MK1
I intend to run a staggard set.What ie the correct width and offset to run on the rear and the correct width and offset to run in the front.And lastly what are my options on wheels
Thanks
Mike:------

66CATDon

New forum user
Resurrecting the wheel discussion again. With no authoritative source for information and countless opinions, I am trying to learn again what I knew 40 years ago as I finally start to bring my '66 MKI back to life.

I would like to use the same size wheels and tires all around to permit full rotation.
The strongest candidate is a 15x6 minilite style wheel with a 25 offset.
195/50/15 tires will fit the wheels and might be a better option for clearance.
I have no objection to a minor trim to the front valence if required.

Any flaws in my thinking so far? The offset is probably of greatest concern as there is a great variety of suggestions out there.
I hope to be driving my Tiger again in 2024.

Thanks for your time and attention (greatly appreciated).

thickeyjr

Bronze forum user
I have a set of 5 Minilite 15"x6" MA1560BHT 4x108 ET28 wheels. They are in almost new condition with lug nuts and center caps. I was told by the seller (before he sold them to me, so nothing misleading) that Minilite actually mills the center section to the desired offset when they sell them. He had already picked up another set with a little less offset when he learned they could be milled. I am going a different route with my Tiger project, so I am willing to part with this set. I have not been able to get a good estimate of value since the real Minilites don't come on the used marked often and I couldn't get any feedback to a request to Minilite USA. Otherwise, I would post them to the classifieds section here.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
. I have not been able to get a good estimate of value since the real Minilites don't come on the used marked often and I couldn't get any feedback to a request to Minilite USA. Otherwise, I would post them to the classifieds section here.
You could check the UK price and then make the appropriate adjustment for age/condition.

Posting photos of your wheels so people see the detail difference between the minilite v panasport v VTO would help your cause. Iirc the minilite has a more solid rim edge without step. Some minilites also have a raised ridge around the hub depending on offset.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I have a set of 5 Minilite 15"x6" MA1560BHT 4x108 ET28 wheels. They are in almost new condition with lug nuts and center caps. I was told by the seller (before he sold them to me, so nothing misleading) that Minilite actually mills the center section to the desired offset when they sell them. He had already picked up another set with a little less offset when he learned they could be milled. I am going a different route with my Tiger project, so I am willing to part with this set. I have not been able to get a good estimate of value since the real Minilites don't come on the used marked often and I couldn't get any feedback to a request to Minilite USA. Otherwise, I would post them to the classifieds section here.
The USA distributors of Minilite wheels are total "tools".... It would seem from all my interactions from them that they really don't want to sell anything... The last set of wheels that I bought (for the red car that just sold on BAT), I bought from Sports and Classics... I completely gave up of the US supplier because he was impossible to deal with.... I wanted to get a set of lug nuts for the Minilite wheels that I have, only to be told... they are obsolete,... you should buy a new set of wheels... needless to say... I told them to "pack sand", and had a new set made by 'Hoghead"... Given a choice, I will NEVER deal with Minilite again, and will make future purchases through Panasport....

I have complained to the manufacturer in the UK, to no avail... go figure...

thickeyjr

Bronze forum user
You could check the UK price and then make the appropriate adjustment for age/condition.

Posting photos of your wheels so people see the detail difference between the minilite v panasport v VTO would help your cause. Iirc the minilite has a more solid rim edge without step. Some minilites also have a raised ridge around the hub depending on offset.
Thanks for the feedback. I will post several pics when I put them in the marketplace.

thickeyjr

Bronze forum user
The USA distributors of Minilite wheels are total "tools".... It would seem from all my interactions from them that they really don't want to sell anything... The last set of wheels that I bought (for the red car that just sold on BAT), I bought from Sports and Classics... I completely gave up of the US supplier because he was impossible to deal with.... I wanted to get a set of lug nuts for the Minilite wheels that I have, only to be told... they are obsolete,... you should buy a new set of wheels... needless to say... I told them to "pack sand", and had a new set made by 'Hoghead"... Given a choice, I will NEVER deal with Minilite again, and will make future purchases through Panasport....

I have complained to the manufacturer in the UK, to no avail... go figure...
That really sucks. I am amazed by the number of suppliers that are so annoying.