.170 Ring Gap Too Much ?

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
You Bet It Is
I think the rule is .001 per inch diameter so being 3.800 bore somewhere about .016 should be good.
after pulling the engine taking the heads off the engine was still stiff in a couple of areas when I tried to rotate it , so off came the oil pan and a ridge reamer removed the ridge. Each piston was tapped out from underneath with a couple being slightly harder to remove. One cylinder had some dehydrated coolant Chrystalized junk which was the culprit for a stiff area , it only had minor surface rust on the bore.
after measuring the bore taper on all 8 cylinders it is determined that .008 taper is too much so a rebore is needed I was using an inside mike to measure but getting that amount of taper with a mike must mean there are larger numbers and out of round considerations. The photos are showing another piston where the rings are so stuck in their grooves that even soaking with all kinds of magic solutions over many months did not free them when they were still in their bores. There must have been so much blow by with all that ring end gap and accounts for the build up of crud on the piston Puzzling thing is all the piston skirts are showing no sign of wear or burnishing.
The photos are showing one measurement of 3.802 and 90 degrees at 3.806 and the dial caliper at .170 ring gap. Because there is .154 extra ring gap is all that wear coming from the outer edge of the ring on the cylinder or was it not checked properly on its initial assembly. Am I right in thinking there should be a touch under .016 ring gap ?
any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated
Thanks

95D2F786-95DF-44AF-95E9-638C3F57E315.jpeg

C4BF2C31-D04B-4110-BFDD-3432A86B09A7.jpeg

A169955A-AC82-4A31-B086-EF923AE1774A.jpeg

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Both forged & cast pistons require about .015 - .017 ring gap, although I have snugged them a bit tighter ( careful cool break-in required). Consider that the Tiger engine compartment does not shed heat and work from there. Over the eons, I have seen many scored pistons & bores, broken rings and even a seized new ring that yanked the top off a cast piston. Everything should move smoothly during assembly. Just sayin' . . . . .

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
If I get a new camshaft and hydraulic lifters which I plan on , in order to breakin the camshaft does that need a 2800 rpm for 30 minutes to make sure it is well lubricated so the lobes don’t wipe out, and if so is that okay for breaking in the rings to the bore and keeping it “cool “ I will seek out a good engine rebuilder and would they typically take care of breaking in the rings and the camshaft?
Thanks for your advise