1963 Harrington for sale

Brianelec

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
This is for sale on Copart. Go to Copart.com and enter the lot number 35017660. Presently it is bid up to $3600. No affiliation on my part.

Last edited by a moderator:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
harrington

Michael,
You're right about being a complete car! The only thing I see that is different is the clutch master. It still has the original Harrington shift knob. It looks like it's been in a flood so that may be the reason for a salvage title. It's not on the Harrington registry.

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Really nice original carpets and interior. A low mile gem. How in the world did it end up there for auction?!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Im going to guess estate sale or insurance write off.... Otherwise even a normal sports / classic dealership would have been better

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
harrington

Copart is a company that mainly deals with insurance write offs. They say that this car will be sold with a salvage title but could be given a Ca. title under the right conditions which means it could be a recovered stolen vehicle but with what looks to be dirt in areas under the hood and other areas of the interior is why I think it's a flood car. I say that because I had four Beams that were in a flood in 1997 and I saw what was left in the cars after the water went away. Two of those cars under went total restorations at Hagerty's expense. Regardless of what happened it does have all of the rare bits and pieces. It's worth watching to see what it sells for.

Warren

Gold forum user
UK

Lucky it's in California . There was a sunk Tiger in the UK their laws required it to be broken. I too have owned submarines, only Herbie the VW and amphicars float. I believe that you must be a licensed dealer or breaker to bid.
Pretty critical to drain the motor ASAP and run oil pump and flush. There's areas in LA where the city storm drains reverse flow and make 15 minute lakes. The bus drivers then think they are at Knott's Berry farm on the log ride. Been there done that. What a perfect time to look at the video of where to add drain holes for the next caretaker...

Warren

Gold forum user
Closer look

I cannot see any evidence of water damage. The listing also does not show it as a primary or secondary factor. It's not far away if someone needs eyes on it. I gotta go out nearly out of beer :)

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Harrington

I said flood because of the mud / dirt on the seat rails, rear cushions and the mud on the trans tunnel plug for checking the trans. There looks to be residue on the firewall.

Warren

Gold forum user
Maybe

It was in a pool Bob. I've have lived in a flash flood area. Having seen 100s of flooded cars. The cars is just not dirty enough IMHO. However I'd say that interiors can be cleaner if the the car is tight. Did you know early Cadillacs can float their rear end and others can get trapped under by the force of the water.
In any event an in person inspection in a couple minutes would tell . I'm willing to break quarantine for beer money and go see it.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Price?

Did anyone follow the bids on the Harrington? What did the car sell for?

Thanks!

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A Bargain

Sounds like someone got a very good bargain. Hopefully it found a good home where it will get the restoration it deserves.

Thanks for the info, Warren!

Later!

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Harrington

It takes a lot of time ,effort and $$$$ to take one back to this and restore the body and everything else. The one that just sold was a complete car and that makes a big difference.

Attachments

• 100_0621.JPG
    100_0621.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 85

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Agreed

Yes, it is a lot more expensive to find and buy unobtainium parts that to restore said parts. I imagine that finding those specialized parts for a Harrington is harder than finding the definitive parts for a Tiger Mk II.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Harrington

I've been fortunate to have bought three complete Harringtons. The one in my photo was a project with every part included that was started by Ian Spencer of the Dayton area and I bought it in 2011. The wife and I found mutiples of many small parts when we unboxed everything. I bought our red one in 1982 and we've been driving it ever since. We bought the moonstone car from the D.C. area in 1989. According to Wally Swift it was raced locally by the dealer in Silver Spring Md. This photo shows what the project looked like after four years of being parked in a body shop, several trips to Doug Jennings, and many parts of it elsewhere around the country. It was at the TE/AE United in 2019 and it won it's class, most popular in class and best of show. I should have latched the hood before taking this photo.

Attachments

• 110_0724.JPG
    110_0724.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 104