1966 1A back on the road by Steve Alcala

Steven43

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Even though for most of the last twenty years I have been dealing with my Sebring Alpine, in 2009 I bought two Tigers ( Great Recession prices ), a Mark 1 and a Mark 1A. Both cars were suggested to me by my mechanic Dan W. I bought the 1A from CAT member Gary Y. Gary owned it for a few years and decided it was too much of a project. Gary bought it from the late-great Bud W., the host of CAT swapmeets and our election meetings, back in the day. Rumor has it he bought it for his son, but the son had no interest in the project. So it ended up on a pallet outside one of Bud's buildings in Anaheim. (Maybe some of you saw it.) By project I mean this is one of the worst, most abused Tigers I have ever come across. Not a straight panel on or in the car. It is a real Tiger (been TAC-ed) and the tub came down the Jensen line, but that's about it. Alpine Series II front clip (did not wont to waste an Series V front clip on this pile of crap), Alpine doors and rockers, trunk floor, and hood. Had to replace the left front frame rail. SAD CAR. Anyway, I would like to thank everyone who has helped me over the years in getting this old dog back on the road. Special thanks to my mechanic of 40 years, Dan W., Rick F. here at the shop, Jere T., Travis C., Mike M out in the valley, and Rick at SS, and DMV guru Warren. I also want to thank everyone on the CAT forum for all the helpful information. And of course, my wife Jane for putting up with this nightmare. (Me not the Tiger.)
Photo of the Pink, last registered owner, Tiger at Buds shop in Anaheim, and what was derived to me in 2009 . ($3800. plus free delivery, seemed fair.)
If you want to see the Tiger please support your club CAT and attend Tigers United Santa Maria.
Steven Alcala

DSCN8170.JPG

DSCN8167.JPG

DSCN8168 (1).JPG

019.JPG

018.JPG

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Steve,

Thanks for taking the time and expense to bring this Tiger back. Not many folks have the expertise or patience to do so. WAY TO GO!

Steven43

Gold forum user
CAT Member
With only 30 min. of test driving here in El Segundo, the Tiger did OK . Ran the Rally. Lost a heater valve along the route, but finished. Made all three runs in the Auto-X and made it to the car show and back.
Steven

DSCN8481.JPG

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Steve,

It was nice to see you and your Tiger at the Concours Sunday. It is hard to imagine that what I saw then was the same car as in your "BEFORE" photos. Great job!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
With only 30 min. of test driving here in El Segundo, the Tiger did OK . Ran the Rally. Lost a heater valve along the route, but finished.
Steven,

Was it one of the MGC repro ones ( similar to SV alpine/mkia/ii tiger)? If so.. When did you buy it? There was a bad batch that failed quickly in use.

Some guys now modify them inserting their own fitting to make them more reliable.

Warren

Gold forum user
He's made the car personalized so I guess it doesn't matter if he uses the old school early MK1 valve. Steve or others, I'd order two of those English ones to save on shipping from across that really big pond.