289 HiPo?

steven

Gold forum user
A Chap here in Aus says he has a genuine 65 289 that has HiPo numbers:

Ford Part # C5AE-6015-E Cast Date 4L12 (12th November 1964)

This is a 6 Bolt 289 Block with the same casting number as a Hi Po 289 Motor - this was just a 2v Motor but does have the 289 Dot Heads which are usually found on the A Code 4 Barrel Motors - Comes with a Correct 1965 Water pump not shown in Photo.

I found this engine in a Mint 1965 Mercury Comet with only 89,000 miles in the

So whats the thoughts, could this be a genuine Hi Po ?

Merry Christmas Steven

Cal44

Gold forum user
Steven,

I know I'm going to read conflicting statements but here goes.

Solid lifters Hipo heads will have a valve spring cup cast into the head for the valve spring. Yes a couple of cast dots.

"Hipo blocks are 289 blocks...... nothing more". The Hipo's had thicker crank caps.

The crank had a hatchet balancer towards the front next too the chain.

There is more but the these are the basics too the block and heads. Of course these are solid lifter engines that even today can have the hell run out of them and take it.

Original Hipo's first came out in '63 Fairlanes used Autolite carburetors and cast header type exhaust manifolds like 406 and 427's (shorties not the long tube) of the day.

More questions?

There is a Hipo website somewhere that has pictures.

Mike

Last edited:

Cal44

Gold forum user
Yes, that is the website. Thanks Jim. I have noticed in several spots they refer to the 289 block as a Hipo block.....ahhh...hmmmm....no!

So, Steven, depending on the price and the Hipo parts:

Heads
Dampener
Crank caps
Exhaust manifolds (new ones are available)
Hatchet balancer on crank
Did I leave anything out?

There you are...........

mike

A-Snake

Bronze forum user
Yes, that is the website. Thanks Jim. I have noticed in several spots they refer to the 289 block as a Hipo block.....ahhh...hmmmm....no!

So, Steven, depending on the price and the Hipo parts:

Heads
Dampener
Crank caps
Exhaust manifolds (new ones are available)
Hatchet balancer on crank
Did I leave anything out?

There you are...........

mike

The connecting rods were machined to take 3/8" bolts on HiPo's instead of 5/16" bolts. The only other small block Ford with this rod was the BOSS 302.
But, as mentioned these could be parts added to a Low-Po block.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
The heads will have a "19" embossed on them. The drivers side head will have it at the front, the passenger (right) head will have it at the rear. This is visible with the valve cover on.

Warren

Gold forum user
Numbers

A fellow Tiger type serves the site with a book he has that has on motors listed below,

"I use Bob Mannel's book on Small Block Ford engines as a reference for all these numbers".

Ron was able to advise on the build date of my cars motor Oct. 14 1965 from the cylinder head deck just behind the water pump on the US drivers side of the motor. This was really helpful in determining what I have in the car. Ron was kind enough to point out the motorhead details like the Ford factory had stopped production of the 289s which were by then the motor of choice,specifically to make the motors for the Tiger.

Ron's writing are splayed all over the mail archives, listed below,

http://www.team.net/archive/ click on Tigers then keyword search.

I tied to upload a pic but must figure how to reduce size. Duh and HoHoHo to all

chirodoc

Gold forum user
hipo 289

Ford used the K engine code to designate a HiPo 289. Mercury K engine codes were not HiPos, just run of the mill 289s.

65Tiger

Bronze forum user
The only way to tell for sure is pull the valve covers. Screw in studs and cast in valve spring pockets will ID a Hi-Po head.
There should be a vary large harmonic balancer but to know for sure you have to remove the oil pan. Full width main caps and 3/8" bolts on the rods will confirm a Hi-Po engine. You will also be able to see the added counter wieght on the crankshaft behind the timing gear.

I do plan on using my Hi-Po block but I am thinking of building it with a all new rotating assembly. Maybe a stroker or just up to a 302. I still have plenty of time to think about it at the rate I am progressing...LOL.

Maybe I better speed it up a bit while I am still limber enought to climb in and out of it.

Rick

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Scouting

That's good and correct info on the HiPo I.D. Stroking the SBF works well with the 302 block, but the 260/289 require some attention to the shorter piston bores by using the wide teflon skirted pistons to minimize the slap. I'm down to my last C5AE block and it's time to knock on peoples doors for working stock. Any spare toys, anyone??