Albums

KenF

Gold forum user
Are the old Albums going to be migrated? Maybe it's still work in progress. (y)

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There's an add-on package, that I have yet to install, that should give us some pretty nice album features, and it should let us migrate any albums you had set up in the old forum. I'll try to get to that in the next few days. Link to the XenForo feature sheet here.

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Awesome! Looks like the Media feature is now active.
Yeah. Just installed the upgrade. I'm looking to see if we can import any albums that people may have had on the old forum. Just so I have a target to go at - did you have an album set up on the old forum?

KenF

Gold forum user
Yeah. Just installed the upgrade. I'm looking to see if we can import any albums that people may have had on the old forum. Just so I have a target to go at - did you have an album set up on the old forum?
Yes, but I only had 1 photo in my album. I think Cliff_Mk1 had an album with several photos on it, might be one to look at.

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I had a lot of photos in my albums and am sorry to see them gone......
Eric

Warren

Gold forum user
I believe that they are still in the old location. It's way better than all the pics we lost due to the demise of hosting sites. Looks like the same as SAOCA software vendor so that's something we are used to :)

KenF

Gold forum user
Sounds like Theo is still working on it. I think Xenforo has a utility to migrate albums from the old vBulletin software, so keep your fingers crossed.

Warren

Gold forum user
Thanks Ken and Theo it's like a jigsaw puzzle to me. I tend to try to make the pieces fit ..

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sounds like Theo is still working on it. I think Xenforo has a utility to migrate albums from the old vBulletin software, so keep your fingers crossed.
It does, but when I look at the database elements that are there in the vB database, there is nothing specifically tied to albums. In the configuration that we had, the album photos were stored in the database and not as external files (that was a configuration option in the vB forum setup). So, I *think* that there must be some user specific fields that tie the attachment IDs to the (user) albums that were created but I'm leery of just trying to do another DB import from vB, because that might just snap everything back a couple of days.

I haven't found anything in the XenForo documentation that has clear instructions or description of what exactly I should expect when importing the albums. Still looking, and I'll ask some questions in the XF support forums.

Edit: Figured out how to do imports of the vB albums, but hitting some kind of server configuration issue.

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
I know this sound like a long way around but, I just copied the album pics I didn't have and brought them over one by one.

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Update: I got partway through the import and then had a PHP memory fault. Waiting for XF people to get back to me with some ideas. Please don't add any pictures to any of the "blank" albums, even if they appear to be yours.

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I completed porting over the contents of the vBulletin forum's album database, to the media gallery feature in this forum. In total, there were 474 images and because I ended up doing this manually, I got a quick review of a LOT of great pictures. People, cars, events and ideas that would have been a loss to leave behind.

I kept the captions associated with the original photos, where possible. I encountered some weirdness in the old database and you will no doubt notice that there are still a few blank albums from the automatic import, as well as a few where I've had to rebuild the album from scratch, which means those are now in my name. In those cases I've ensured that the original owner has the ability to still add new content if they want. If you are one of the people whose album(s) I had to rebuild (Jim, Eric, Bob H, off the top of my head) and there is anything that you want to do there that you can't, shoot me a message.

Going forward - let me know if there are album features you'd like to see, or if there are organizational ideas we can apply here.

KenF

Gold forum user
Awesome work Theo! (y) I've browsed a bit and there are a lot of great pics and docs there. Thanks for the manual intervention.

Last edited:

KenF

Gold forum user
Where do albums now appear?
I usually click "Media" on the very top menubar. On the left there is a navigation pane where you can browse albums, look at your media (pictures/videos) or your albums (folders organized with your media). If you are on the browse albums option, there is a filter dropdown on the right where you can look at media owned by just one person. You can also just page through the albums, and hover your mouse over the album to display the owner and photo count.

To create an album and upload pictures:
  • Click the Add Media.
  • Select Create personal album.
  • Enter Album Title.
  • Choose who Can view media items (defaults to everyone including non registered users).
  • Click the Upload File button and choose a photo from your PC.
  • The picture Title defaults to the filename, but you can replace title with a short description.
  • Enter an optional Description if you want.
  • At least one photo must be uploaded, or continue adding more photos. Click the Save button when done.
  • If you want to add more photos to your album, go to Your albums, select album to open it, and click Add Media.
  • To edit a photo, open the photo and click the Edit button where you can change the title and/or description. If you see a << on the upper right, click it to show the edit button and other stuff. You can also delete photos here (and move, but a bit trickier).
Sorry for all the step by step details, but maybe others will find it useful.

Last edited:

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks, Ken. I looked and my album was where you said it would be. The pictures are not organized like they were before the changes; however, I can change the order of the pictures (or start over if necessary). It's neat to have other albums although the layout is confusing. But, I know this is all in progress. Thanks so much to all who make all of this possible. Cliff