Ammeter Amp meter and Clock

Cal44

Gold forum user
Could someone be so kind as to post a picture of the correct ammeter and if there is a number, provide that as well for a Mk1.

Also the/a clock. There seems to be several that are correct....or not. My head......

Mike

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Mike

Not sure about the ammeter...but here is a link (sorry it did not come through as a hyperlink) to an article that gives Smiths serial numbers and Rootes Part Numbers for the different clocks that came in the various Sunbeam models.

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?categoryid=82&p2_articleid=7

I asked about Mk1 clocks in a previous Wanted Post when I was looking to buy one for my Mk1. The thread generated a lot of posts and some believe the article is inaccurate and they have reversed the descrition for the 3131/00 and 3030/00 models. I am sure others wil weigh in on this subject. It alwats seems to generate a lot of discussion.

Regardless, the 3131 is very difficult to find and the 3030 is almost impossible.

Jim

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
I have MK1 B9470960 tac #23 and it has the CE 3030/00 installed in the
dash. I have been told that this was installed by the dealer at the time of purchase
and I have no reason to doubt that info. So the article seems to be correct at
least for the MK1's....It runs and keeps great time too !!!

Bill D Carmel Ca

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Hi Mike

I'll post a pic below of the correct ammeter...

I'm sure Bill is correct about the 3030 clock for the Mk1 ( but not MK1A ) PM me if you need to obtain either and I think I can help you out...

Jim
B382000446

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Mike,

The ammeter jim posted is correct from the MKI/IA cars and is comon with the S3 and IV alpines.

The clocks in the Tiger MKI/IA were the CE.3030/00 as mentioned, they are VERy hard to find and sell for big $. The only difference between the CE.3030/00 used in the Tigers and the CE.2194/14 used in the S3/IV alpines was the negative grounding. The CE.2194/14 are not to har to pick up and appart from the little numbers at the base of the dial are identical in appearance.

There is a seller on ebay Uk "thegaugeshop" who often has rebuilt and gaurenteed CE.2194/14 clocks for sale. I think he has a few at the moment.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Michael... Are you sure about the clock...? I was always under the impression ( from many sources ) that the 3030 was ONLY correct for MK1... and the 3131 was MK1A onwards...
I've spoken to Allan at 'the gauge shop' and he says it's no problem at all for him to convert the CE.2194/14 's to neg. ground....

There is also a clock ( I used to have one ) that is the same as the 3030 ( sideways 3 & 9 , red hands) but is pos. ground.... can't recall the # offhand...

Jim

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael... Are you sure about the clock...? I was always under the impression ( from many sources ) that the 3030 was ONLY correct for MK1... and the 3131 was MK1A onwards...
I've spoken to Allan at 'the gauge shop' and he says it's no problem at all for him to convert the CE.2194/14 's to neg. ground....

There is also a clock ( I used to have one ) that is the same as the 3030 ( sideways 3 & 9 , red hands) but is pos. ground.... can't recall the # offhand...

Jim

Jim,

Been a while since i looked that one up, so maybe have it wrong. I thought the the parts book had the 3030/00 as the MKI clock and would have been into early MKIA production, but i suspect that the later MKIA's (ones with the square boots) would have all used the same 3131 clock as the SV and MKII, which has smaller font and the vertical 3/9. It's the same sort of issue with the ammeters on the later MKIA, some seem to have the lucas 30/30 some seem to have the SV/MKII style 35/35 with the smaller font. I cant remember if it had the VIN for the change over.

I think if you have a MKIA you can probably get away with using either as its a crossover point, On a personal note i prefer the 3030/2194 clcok face as they match all the gauges in a MKI and MKIA tiger, the 3131 matches the SV/MKII style gauges.

As for obtaining a 3030, unless you have a very correct car i thiink you are better off going with the 2194, a lot cheaper, easier to acquire and will appear the same as the correct one I had allan rebuild me one for mine).

Another thing i have noticed and never got to the bottom of with the clocks is there are several i have seen with the same silver on the centre of the retaining pin (for the hands) as the speedo/tacho. Initally i thought it was just for the generic smiths clocks, and perhaps for other makes like vauxhaul and fords which i have seen them in. But about 2 years back 2 clocks came up for sale on ebay, 1 in UK and 1 in AU. Both in original rootes (pre chrysler) boxes, they were the 2194 numbered clock with red hands, and the silver centre. Anyone have one of those in their car? I'll try and dig up the pictures and post some shots tomorrow.