An Update by Steven Alcala

Steven43

Gold forum user
CAT Member
After putting my '62 Sebring Alpine aside, and with five mouths of CoVid shut-down, I thought for sure I would make a dent in finishing my two Tigers(wrong). But I did think it was time to thank some of the people who have been helping out with parts and info. Without you guys I would be completely lost. So thank you Dan W., Mike M., Travis C., Rick M. ( I am not giving their full names to protect my sources.) And thanks to everyone who has been buying parts from my on e-Bay--it helps finance the two restorations.

I did take in one job this spring, a Rapier owned buy past CAT Pres. Frank Sims (1980s 90s). It was good to see Frank (been 20 years). Thanks to his help, CAT did a lot of Auto-Xs at Lion Country.
As for my racing, I have taken most of my racing stuff off the Sebring Alpine and made it more of a show car/street car. I installed the race parts on Dan Walters Weekend Racer Alpine and he lets me do open track events with his car.

Which leads to this past weekend where we ran the car at the LA Shelby Club Streets of Willow event. It was $130 entry, plus $15 gate fee and $25 of race gas for six 20-min run sessions. Unbelievably cheap track time. The catch was the 101 degree heat. That's way I did not post the event on this site as it was not Tiger weather. LA Shelby is having their car show this year on Sat. SEP. 19 at the El Segundo Automobile Driving Museum and all Tigers are welcome.
Stay Safe, Steven Alcala

Attachments

• DSCN7073.JPG
    DSCN7073.JPG
    870.9 KB · Views: 114

Warren

Gold forum user
Grrrrrreat Steven

Round and a square corner cars...
Also of note is an every Sat at Artesia and Hawthorne. Plus the 3rd Sunday of each month at Golden Cove. It'd be nice to have an informal drive as the Austin Healey has put on. Also many non sanctioned drop in cars and coffees are still going on, you just got to go keep yer distance where your mask, blah blah blah. It'd be really nice if the club social director removed the ventilator from the club.

And while we're on the subject of thanking guys like Dan W. I got to say the Dr. helped me with a mechanical deal virtually :) part of it was technical part of it was just being unsure because I've broken stuff before with my brute strength. Dan encouraged me to put a torch on it and let the magic of physics do the work with a stuck I've been in there for 50 years temperature sender in a F4b.
It also involved quenching and secret saucing PB blaster liquid wrench and penetrating oil. It was totally against my training because in the air-cooled Volkswagen world you never take out a spark plug out when the motor is hot because it'll take the threads right with it, plus who likes to work on a hot motor anyway yuck...

Steven43

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Frank Sims latest car

Past CAT President and his barn find.

Attachments

• DSCN7064.JPG
    DSCN7064.JPG
    880 KB · Views: 80

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nice Project

Steven,

I hope you work your usual magic on Frank's car and restore it to its original glory. We just don't see very many such cars and it looks like a great candidate to be brought back.

Thanks for sharing the photo.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Smells like Sunbeam Spirit

Steven, I see an oil refinery in the background- so El Segundo- we used to call the place El Stinkundo back in the day before they cleaned up the refineries. Good to see Frank back on the Sunbeam scene. Kirk

Steven43

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Street of Willow Photos from Aug 22

More photos, sorry for the poor quality.
Steven

Attachments

• DSCN5013.JPG
    DSCN5013.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 109
  • DSCN5014.JPG
    DSCN5014.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 106
  • DSCN5016.JPG
    DSCN5016.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 103

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Wish i was allowed to run period hoop style roll bars.. They look so good compared to the tall wide full width ones.. I know its safety.... But the hoops are so fitting...:cool: