Axle rebuild requiring roller bearings

fjohn49

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I purchased all the bearings, seals, shims, etc. for the Tiger rear axle. I also purchased a new set of 3.31 gears and a Speedmaster PCE204 limited slip that is listed for the Tiger, Jaguar etc. With the setup complete and the axles being installed, there's an issue in tightening them down. The shoo says I need to use roller bearings for the axle versus the tapered axle roller bearings. I believe it has something to do with a pin in the old unit. I can't go see what they're talking about since I'm in the hospital with pneumonia. Has anyone had a similar issue needing to use a roller bearing and if so do you have a part number?

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I purchased all the bearings, seals, shims, etc. for the Tiger rear axle. I also purchased a new set of 3.31 gears and a Speedmaster PCE204 limited slip that is listed for the Tiger, Jaguar etc. With the setup complete and the axles being installed, there's an issue in tightening them down. The shoo says I need to use roller bearings for the axle versus the tapered axle roller bearings. I believe it has something to do with a pin in the old unit. I can't go see what they're talking about since I'm in the hospital with pneumonia. Has anyone had a similar issue needing to use a roller bearing and if so do you have a part number?
The tapered rolls in the DANA 44 pumkin are pre-determind as found (period). The outer Salisbury configuration requires tapered rollers and potential shims behind the backing plate to set end play. Shims may/or not be used as required. If the posi unit leaves center space between the axle ends, then you have an engineering issue that needs to be addressed somehow. Roller bearings WILL NOT solve an eventual inward axle movement.

fjohn49

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
The tapered rolls in the DANA 44 pumkin are pre-determind as found (period). The outer Salisbury configuration requires tapered rollers and potential shims behind the backing plate to set end play. Shims may/or not be used as required. If the posi unit leaves center space between the axle ends, then you have an engineering issue that needs to be addressed somehow. Roller bearings WILL NOT solve an eventual inward axle movement.
Thank you for the reply. I will reach out to Speedmaster to see if they had a fix.