B9471635 in restoration

allfudge

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I should have started this thread a long time ago, and after reading what Vinreeb has been doing with his restoration, I decided it is time. I purchased my Tiger in Maryland and had it shipped to my home in the Seattle area in early 2008. I was afraid to drive it because the wiring under the hood looked pretty scary, and the smoke in the wires was in danger of being released catastrophically. As I poked around the car I began to see what would have been obvious to an experienced Tiger owner, which prompted me to ask Larry Atkisson to have a look. After about 10 minutes of inspection Larry advised me to sell the car and find one in better condition; one without a lot of rust. I had to admit I was blinded by the thought of owning a Tiger. After years of lusting after one, and inspecting many cars, I gave in and bought B9471635 in a moment of weakness.

I put the car up for sale shortly after Larry's suggestion, but received no nibbles at all. Probably because I tried to sell it in 2009, at the bottom of the recession. Finally, I decided to bite the bullet and restore the car.

Disassembly started in January of 2010, and I completed the process in early 2011. Then, I had the body dipped in Portland at American Metal Cleaning. I was not too surprised when I picked the car up after dipping, it looked like a cheese grater! I bet it lost 50 or 60 pounds of bondo.

I built a jig, pictures of which are on this site, and placed the body on the jig, and on the rotisserie for further dissassembly and repair. Last fall, as I posted previously, Larry Atkisson graciously gave me an alpine tub with many parts I needed, especially the sill assemblies. This weekend I am going to test fit the driver's side sill into the body. The car is upside down on the rotisserie, my thinking is it will be easier to use gravity to hold the sill in place while I tack it in place.

I've posted several pictures with this thread to show the purchase and progress since then. One of the pictures shows a Washington State Patrol inspector checking the VIN and marking the car prior to dipping. I had to remove the VIN and JAL tags before the dip, as the process would have dissolved the aluminum. The WSP documentation will prove the car is the same, even though the before and after pictures are dramatically different!

One of the pictures shows a 16 gauge "sill" installed by a PO, before applying pounds of bondo. This was riveted at the bottom, and not secured any where else! Both Sides!

I have been taking a continuing education class at a local Vocational College. The class is called Autobody Restoration and has been a great resource for me. I have honed my welding skills, learned to fabricate sheet metal and paint. When the instructor stops shaking his head at my foolishness he is a great resource.

Vinreeb

Silver forum user
Ouch... that looks like even more work than my kitten needs...
Looks like your doing some good work out there. I thougt of dipping my shell too, but would not want to remove the VIN-Tags as there is no real possibility to tac a tiger in germany i guess. So right now im scraping off everything with a heat gun, methylenchloride, diesel and whatever i can find else that kills paint & undersealing. Im slowly thinking i should have dipped it:rolleyes:

How do you control the gaps while welding with so much structur cut out? Can you post more pics of the shell on the jig? Taht would help me a lot as i recently foud out that i have massive delamination between the inner and outer sill boxing.

Regards from germany and good luck:)

Thibaut

allfudge

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Ouch

Yes, it's more than I expected, but the more I get into it the more fun it is. My biggest problem is the relatively small space I have to work in, with all of the tools, body parts, etc. laying around for me to trip on. I did have to trim off the ends of the crossbars on the jig with a plasma cutter as I have been bruising my thighs repeatedly on them.

I haven't started welding anything back together yet, so I can't really address your question. I have been taking measurements and so far every thing looks good.

I posted more pics of the jig as you requested. Is that what you are looking for?

Vinreeb

Silver forum user
Heavy Iron...

Wow... i guess the jig weights at least the same as the empty shell.
Many thanks for the beautiful pictures, i believe with this jig, and the repeated fixing of the body to it, you will have no problems with saging or something like that.
Whish i had your Workshop too:D

allfudge

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
New sill test fitting

I spent a few hours last night getting the drivers side sill in place for some test fitting. It looks pretty good overall, but there are some issues I have to think through before I start tacking it in place. Several different measurements look good, but for some reason one panel on the new sill, shown in the GAP picture is inboard about 5/16" of the same panel on the Tiger. No obvious reason for that. After more head scratching I'm going to pull the sill out, perform some minor repairs and strengthening, then tack it in place to check door fit before I complete the welding. Cross your fingers!

Last edited: