B9472884 - Ex UK car now "Down Under" in Perth

Tiger_DFT

New forum user
Hi all,

Thought I should introduce myself.

Just joined this forum, I have been on the "Tigers United" list for a few years but thought I should branch out!!

I live in Perth, Western Australia, I am lucky enough to be retired and am enjoying my 1965 Tiger immensely now that I have time to drive it.

In 2004 when I retired my wife and I spent 7 months "RVing" throughout the US and Canada in an old 1994 Holiday Rambler .... great times. I caught up with Rick at SS (bought many bits and pieces) and Dale A. (bought his rear springs, ventilated brake rotor kit). We did over 32,000 miles and had such a great time....might do it again one day.

I use my Tiger in the local hillclimb series and at Vintage Sports Car events. It likes going uphill..... much better brake performance....though it does run cooler back down the hill!:). Here is a video clip of my Tiger being a bit over exuberant in front of the local police at a closed public road hillclimb. The 2.88 gears with the CR 1st gear makes for a lairy take off!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzZptYCV6Ew

My Tiger has been slightly modified (but I still have the std engine and bits and pieces) with a lightly modified 302. I have taken the original 13" Minilite wheels off as one cracked! I struggle with the Perth summer temps especially this summer just ending now (the hottest on record). Our daytime temps are 95F/35C+ most days. It's too hot with the roof up or down! I have done most of the common mods to keep the engine cool but it still runs too hot at the racetrack. I'm avoiding circuit racing events when temps are > 90F. :mad:

My car has an interesting history which I can trace because I have the original UK "Green Card" registration record which lists all the previous UK owners. It was first registered by Rootes, then sold to a dealer, then back to Rootes!! I bought the car off the owner who exported the car to Australia back in 1981. I have owned it since 1983. The car recently did it's 100,000th mile.

I also have a Datsun SR311 2000 roadster and a couple of motorbikes (Ducati and Husqvarna) to keep me never far away from my tools!

Anyway, enough of all that, if any of you ever come over to Oz....make sure you come over to the West Coast (we "Sandgropers" reckon it's the best!). Love to show you around.

Cheers
David Tweddle
B9472884

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Hi David.

Good story, and loved the video. I have just bought some new superlight wheels for my Tiger, 15"x6" front and 15"x7" rear with the charcole centres. It is going to be a while before they are fitted as the car is now in many bits.

I lived in Perth for 18 months about 25 years ago. Great place but still trying to get that sand out of

Cheers Mal