Brake pedal effort with stock 7" booster

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have a 1967 Tiger 1a. I have rebuilt the entire braking system including the 7" Girling booster. The brakes work ok and the car stops straight, but I have never driven a Tiger so I don't know what normal is. Is the brake pedal effort high, medium or light with the booster installed?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
shouldn't be high effort at all. I can lock up the brakes easily at low to medium pedal pressures. standard system with 7" girling Mk2 booster

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You can test it with a pressure gage- need a 2 to 3000psi gage

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My real question is is the booster functioning (helping). Based on Sean's comment, I would say no. I will disconnect the vacuum source and see if there is a difference. I will also see if the booster still holds a vacuum.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Agree, check if booster functioning - usually very little pedal effort required (my experience)

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
My real question is is the booster functioning (helping). Based on Sean's comment, I would say no. I will disconnect the vacuum source and see if there is a difference. I will also see if the booster still holds a vacuum.
normally if the booster is "dead" or bypassed the pedal pressure are hugely increased

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A simple "old school" test is to apply some brake pedal while the motor is off. Keeping the pedal pressure on, start the motor and you should feel the pedal creep forward as vacuum builds. I have had more than a few clients reverse the brake line connections on the valve body thereby thwarting any boost. just sayin'

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It passed the old school test, so we'll see. I'll adjust the rears after a few miles and break in the front pads. Everything is new.