Brake pedal felt washer ? source, size, oil vs grease

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Felt washers in pedal pivots trashed. ? what is correct OD and thickness when original. Also, does anyone have a source to get them? I usually use a grease when R&R/cleanup of pedals but the felt washer suggests to me that it might be used as oil wick for lubrication. Opinions re. using grease or oil. Thanks

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I usually set them up with lithium, but everyone has their own preferences. The felt is pretty thin, the same o/d as the steel washers.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Felt washers in pedal pivots trashed. ? what is correct OD and thickness when original. Also, does anyone have a source to get them? I usually use a grease when R&R/cleanup of pedals but the felt washer suggests to me that it might be used as oil wick for lubrication. Opinions re. using grease or oil. Thanks
Grease is a lubricating oil with a thickener to hold the oil in place. Most of the over counter greases are a lithium complex product unless it specifies it contains Moly. The felt was installed to absorb and hold the small amount of oil that may fall out of suspension. That would prevent the oil dripping on carpets or your foot.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I thought about the battery washers, but just did not want to the red and green color

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I used battery felt washers and lithium grease
There is no reason to use anything but a lithium grease. The felt washers would absorb the oil leaking from the grease but the amount leaking out would be next to nothing. Construction equipment manufacturers suggest a moly grease due to the wet and dirty working conditions.