CAT Club headers?

cmjr1966

Bronze forum user
After dragging my MK1A out of storage I'm going through the stuff I've bought for it over the years and haven't installed yet. Most of it around '93-95 and primarily from CAT, Sunbeam Specialities, and Dale A. I've got a set of club headers, these have the dumps on the side, obviously to allow for "uncorking" them. I notice the new headers offered by CAT come down to a single collector. I've also got a 2" exhaust system from Sunbeam Specialities. Any issues using these? I know with the passage of time, products that were once offered as "the thing to get" sometimes fall into the "what were they thinking" category. My engine is a stock 260 with the usual "289 2bl cheats" we all did to get around the techs in Solo II. At this point I'm not sold on using the headers, they've always been more of a PIA than a help on a stock motor on other applications I've used them on.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
I think everyone on here will agree with you that headers are not worth the trouble on a stock motor.

Sounds like you intend to keep the motor very stock (looking)? BTW, you can no longer run stock class in Solo, I have been told, due to the age of the car. Might as well go for the gusto!

I cannot help but wonder how long you will be able to resist putting a F4B manifold and small Holley 4 barrel on it now that you are driving it again! Then headers start to make sense of course. Just a reminder to have them Jet Hot, or equivalent, coated if you ever decide to use them, for all the reasons no doubt you already know.:D

Cheers, Gene

cmjr1966

Bronze forum user
Well....

I do have the F4B, I do have a 600cfm Holley and yes they were going on. It currently has 289 heads and 2bl intake with a Holley 500(also have all the original stuff put up). Before building the heads up I spent a few hours(4) with a dremel tool cleaning the flashing and polishing on both intake and exhaust ports and matching them. Not sure if it helped, I just didn't want someone saying "hey, you shoulda....." and I knew it wouldn't hurt. Car has 4w discs and all suspension is new as well as front end components and new 3.31 posi. Just wasn't sure if the club headers were the way to go or not and obviously it ain't gonna make any stock class. :D I've also got a clean std bore 5bolt 289 long block tucked away. Right now it's been so long I just want to get behind the wheel in the near future.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Heavy Breathing Pant Pant

My 2-1/2 cents says step down from that 600 Holley to 500 or a notch less 4bbl for the common cam 260. It will keep the HP & torque in a more "usable" range. If you've already spread the cam duration out a bunch, ignore the comment. Also, if that 5-bolt 289 wants to live in a NH MK1A . . . . . . . . . . rw

cmjr1966

Bronze forum user
I'm thinking smaller also

After reading the posts I'm thinking the smaller Holley or even a small EB might be a better choice, I'm still undecided on the headers, even with the F4B and 4bl.

As for the 5bolt, it came out of a wrecked late 64 Fairlane. Bought it through Hemmings from a guy that touted period correct Ford and Mopar motors up in the Northeast. Deal almost went sideways as it was supposed to be a complete motor including dist, carb and intake for 400.00(remember this is 1993). He calls me at the last moment with a BS story about a employee selling the 4bl intake and carb off of it. After a tense 15 minute conversation we agree on a price of 250.00 and he ships it. It's currently bundled up on a pallet in my whse about 20 ft in the air.

Well, time to get off my a$$ and drag the "Alpine" up on a trailor for it's trip to Keller this weekend to go though TAC.