Cat headers and shorty filters

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
I bought a set of CAt headers about a year ago and had them jet-hot coated. I am getting ready to install them on the motor currently out of the car. I would like to use a short 1/2 quart filter. But the front down tube comes within 1/32 of the short filter as I have them dryfitted. Seems way too close for comfort. Anyone else run this configuration without any problems?

Thanks in advance, Gene

chirodoc

Gold forum user
oil filter with headers

GENE
You have two alternatives but they don't involve the shorty filter. Option #1 is to use an early Ford 240 Econoline 90 degree adapter if you can find one or get a new Ford Racing adapter M6880-A50 from Jegs, Summit or Speedway Motors. The second alternative is to do a remote filter kit like the one from STOA many years ago and mount the filter on the inner fenderwell behind the left front headlight bucket. Again Jegs or Summit as a source. The Ford Racing setup requires that you use a smaller diameter filter for a Ford Taurus, whereas the remote filter uses the normal 289/302 filter.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Gene,

I have the 90 degree adapter and a box of hard to find filters that I would be happy to sell. If you are interested send me a PM and we can discuss.

Moondoggie

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and information.

After some reflection, I think I will just stay with the existing remote filter setup for a while. In the near future I intend to install an 8 quart oil pan (modified Canton cobra style road race pan) which have "side ears" that will probably interfere with a 90 degree filter adapter set-up. And I want to keep open space on the driver side of the engine bay for an eventual coolant overflow catchcan. Probably fabricate a washer bottle holder and use a Rootes washer bottle for that.

So, since I have some new hoses for the factory remote set-up, I will just stay with the configuration I have.

Thanks again for the very helpful ideas and feedback.

Cheers, Gene

PS: any really clever techniques for changing the filter on the factory set-up without making a mess?

chirodoc

Gold forum user
Oil filter relocation

Gene
Since you want to go with a larger capacity oil pan with a relocated filter, check out Classic Motorsports Magazine website and their series on a TIGER BUILD UP. They use a kit for a Kit Cobra that has extra fittings for an oil cooler if you plan on doing open track events.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Very interesting suggestion! I will definitely check it out, thanks for letting me know about it.:D

Cheers, Gene: