Clutch Slave Rod Retainer Spring

CobraTiger

Silver forum user
Hi All, I purchased a clutch slave rod retainer spring (refer Clip 2 jpg) from SS and have absolutely no idea how it works or where it attaches. I searched on line and found a photo of the rod and clip stating it is from an original Tiger (refer clip 1 jpg) but the clip shape is completely different to what I have bought.

Any assistance greatly appreciated

Clip 1.JPG

Clip 2.JPG

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I think they are two different things. What you bought retains the throwout bearing actuator arm. The spring you show attaches the slave cylinder rod to the actuator arm.

CobraTiger

Silver forum user
I think they are two different things. What you bought retains the throwout bearing actuator arm. The spring you show attaches the slave cylinder rod to the actuator arm.
Many thanks for the explanation. Would you know where I could buy the the slave cylinder rod spring that attaches to the actuator arm

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have never found them, but I really don't think it is needed. I assembled my car and I really don't see how the rod could fall out.

TAH_Tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
In 1973, I had a slave rod break between the head and locknut. While the rod stayed in, the head was gone, but after a long search was luckily retrieved back down the road. Had it welded together to continue my trip to Chicago.
Now I always wire the head to the clutch arm just in case.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bryan, how much do you want if you are willing to sell one?
Oneoffive, I assume you are saying the rod will drop out without the spring retainer?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Oneoffive, I assume you are saying the rod will drop out without the spring retainer?
I suppose it can fall out, but in 30 years of driving my cars, it's never happened to me... can someone post a pic of the spring retainer installed..

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It can fall out with hydraulic failure- I drill a small hole in the ball end and run safety wire to the hole in the clutch fork- this stuff is the pits when sourcing 50+ parts

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tim Morin made a bunch a while back. Perhaps he still has a few kickin' around.