Dip stick tube removal

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I am in the process of removing the engine from underneath after removing the front suspension. To reduce the amount i have to lift the body I want to remove the dip stick tube and choke tube , both do not want to come out My question is if the oil pan is removed can a punch / drift be used to tap the oil dip stick from the bottom and any ideas on getting the choke tube out or is it best to leave well alone ?

ABSunbeams

Gold forum user
Punch & hammer method would work. I have used a slide hammer and the attachment to pull dents, tapered end screwed into the tube. Worked for me a couple of times. Raising the body to clear it maybe easier.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Many years ago, a friend broke my dip stick tube by pulling on the end towards the radiator. I was reassembling my engine and the bolt for the brace was not installed yet. I had to pull off the oil pan again and used a drift to drive out the piece that was broken off. Since your tube is still good, you might want to drizzle down the outside of the tube some WD40, Kroil, or whatever is your preferred lubricant to help parts come apart. And use the minimum force necessary when hitting the drift.

You probably considered this already, but you can remove the water pump and timing chain cover with the tube attached. If you were going to do this after you get the engine out anyway, it might be easier to do this before dropping the engine.

Good luck!
David

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If the engine is going to be disassembled and you're not too worried about applying some heat and the how it might affect gaskets and paint, etc, putting a propane or MAP torch to that section of the timing cover should allow you to pull the dipstick tube from the top without removing the pan. That aluminum swells pretty quickly.
Needless to say but I'll say it anyway, make sure there is no gasoline around the flame.

Warren

Gold forum user
Possibly look at the you tube video of Duke.
The drift punch is the a for sure way to get it off. If you plan on heating you likely don't need Mapp gas propane will do and shoot it with an I/R gun to prevent any overheating. Just a smidge over normal Tiger overheating should be enough ;) I do suspect you will get some wrench marks in it though.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Some great solutions. Kroil is my choice of lubricant but wish they would put a better dispenser on the can one drop at a time is good not a full squirt like a hose ! Anyways any ideas on the choke tube ?
Thanks all for your suggestions

Warren

Gold forum user
Kroil wondering how much each squirt costs ;)
I have ATF and acetone in a dropper or syringe . No particular recipe but using too much acetone and it's hard on rubber . I too would say raise car higher. I like the if it ain't broke don't take it apart. You have to add the Tiger * which says you got to do everything that you have to do when the engine and transmission is out because it's not much fun taking everything off the car to change something you should have changed.

As for the asbestos coated choke stove I'd leave it alone or take it off completely and put on one of those reproduction ones.
Or I would take it and spray it down with some clear coat or something to try to contain the crap.

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
just remove the timing cover- those oil tubes bend and snap very easily

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Kroil wondering how much each squirt costs ;)
I have ATF and acetone in a dropper or syringe . No particular recipe but using too much acetone and it's hard on rubber . I too would say raise car higher. I like the if it ain't broke don't take it apart. You have to add the Tiger * which says you got to do everything that you have to do when the engine and transmission is out because it's not much fun taking everything off the car to change something you should have changed.

As for the asbestos coated choke stove I'd leave it alone or take it off completely and put on one of those reproduction ones.
Or I would take it and spray it down with some clear coat or something to try to contain the crap.
Does it really need a choke living in warm/hot Arizona ?
Thanks for the advise
I will leave the choke tube and oil dip stick tube in place.
I managed to loosen all the manifold bolts , the 4 front cross member bolts and the engine mounts without any difficulty. Friday is ‘Pull The Engine Day ‘