Dynamat

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Lizardskin and bottom of car

I had looked at that and like the idea for some areas.

For clarification, by 'tunnel' you are referring only to interior (cabin) car surfaces? Or inside the tunnel, between motor / transmission and bottom (underside) of tunnel and firewall?

I am wondering about spraying this stuff under the car in that area. If not spraying, do most put down any type of heat shields? Sometimes that becomes an issue with condensation, etc...

Paul4223

Gold forum user
My two cents.

Way back, when the car was apart, down to the unibody and clean, we used POR-15 on the floor and in the boot. Then I applied a product called QPads everywhere- well, almost everywhere. I did templates to fit the stuff into the "ribs" on the floor. I put sheets in the doors, behind the fuel tanks, on the firewall, etc., etc. Then, my buddy brought over his spray gun and compressor and we shot some black bumpy German stuff- 3-M has a similar product called Body Shutz- all over the inside of the car, the boot, etc. We did not do the engine compartment of course, nor the boot lid.

What an improvement this entire procedure made!

The car is virtually rattle-free, sounds and feels so much more "solid" than the Tigers I've driven/ridden in which don't have sound-deadening and insulation.

I love it!

On a side note. When I was a Tiger rookie, and talking to some of the Tiger veterans about the restoration, I casually mentioned to a fellow who shall remain nameless - he's fairly prominent in the Tiger world- about the Q Pads and the Body Shutz. He sarcastically said: "Oh man, you're not doing THAT, are you???" "That's utter bullshit."

Ha! Yes indeed I was doing precisely that! And no, it was hardly "bullshit". If I were to do it again, I'd likely use Dynamat. I'm not sure it existed back then.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
When I worked in the auto body industry we used the Body Shutz a lot when replacing panels--it was awesome stuff.

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Has anyone used Dyna-Pad? If so, did it cool and quiet the interior well enough to recommend as a carpet pad replacement? If you have a template to share for cutting the material that would be most appreciated too. May be winter or the heat of the summer project when it's in storage.

DynaPad (dynamatstore.com)

Thank you,

Steve

Last edited:

CobraTiger

Silver forum user
Here is my car fully Dynamated ie. with the Australian equivalent. I have also added on top of the Dynamat their carpet underlay, which is also a suppressant for heat and noise and is also water resistant which is stuck on top of the Dynamat (haven't taken photos of that yet). Hope it will be worth it!

IMG_2376.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Looks like a thorough and well-done job. Combining the two seems like the way to go for the maximum effect. I haven't seen the DynaPad other than pictures. The reviews of DynaPad seem mixed though I think most are using it exclusively and solely for sound deadening.

TAH_Tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I used xmat in two thicknesses. Used the heavier version in flat areas such as in the footwells and under seats, Actually had to turn the heat on one evening this summer. Never had to do that before.