Exhaust mod for odor

Michael

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Hi Folks, long time Tiger owner getting back into working on the old girl, looking for a little insight into my exhaust woes. I have a 1965 with a modified 302 & headers, the car has always drawn exhaust smell back into it. The shop who modified the exhaust to add the headers did a terrible job, so SOME of the issue is leakage, I'm sure but even when it was tight it seemed to have an issue. It seems to draw in through the trunk, and I suspect the air flow at the back might be part of the issue.

My pipes project straight out the back and I've been thinking about aiming them down and/or to the outside to try and pull the exhaust away. Rather than re-invent the wheel by hanging flags all over the car to determine air flow, I'm wondering if others have experienced the issue and found a fix. Thanks for any insight you might be willing to share.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
How well does your boot seal? The rubber needs to be very tight against the lid all around.. So if the boot is not seating evenly or has the comon kink from the inner skin being tweaked it will allow fumes in.

Ive seen downturned pipes. Long pipes etc... Best bet. Fet that boot well sealed.. Same goes for a mki .. Add closed cell foam around where the hinged soft top doors are... On a mkia a bit harder

Michael

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I suspect the seal is probably not that great, and you're right that is the root cause. Given the age and loose initial tolerances I thought perhaps getting a proper seal was a lost cause, but that probably is where I should spend my time first.

One always hopes for a magic bullet solution, but sweating the details is usually the solution. Thanks!

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Are you getting a fuel odor too? Make sure the horizontal gas tank vent hose between the two tanks is not cracked/missing. Also check the trunk floor and fill any holes there. The large drain holes towards the rear sometimes are missing their filler plugs.

TAH_Tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Exhaust odor

Also, check that the spark plug access in the tunnel in not open.:D

Warren

Gold forum user
Rubber

I agree with Tom , and would add all the rubber grommets . Seen several cars goop sealed and have used seam sealer on the Falcon .