FS Alpine V8 conversion: what's it worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
Hi all:

I've had this car for nearly 20 years. Bought it with the promise I could get it running in a couple of weeks, but it turned out to be far more work than I ever imagined (car misrepresented). I've worked on it off and on, and held on to it for all these years, hoping one day I'd be able to get it finished. But, I've fallen upon hard times, of late, and need to let it go. The particulars:

1964 Alpine IV GT, converted to Tiger drivetrain by previous owner. Tiger-correct modifications to the firewall were done at that time. Car is complete rolling chassis, but not fully assembled. Body is rust-free with one minor dent in front valence, but otherwise in great shape. PO painted it metallic light blue. I have a can of extra paint, so it can be matched if needed. Original color appears to be red, based upon inside of doors. Tiger script is installed, as MK I, but with no belt molding. Grille is as MK I.

Engine is a Ford 289, circa 1964, with newer iron 302 heads. Entire engine was blueprinted; magnafluxed block, new bearings, 0.20 overbore with forged aluminum pistons, fully balanced, ARP hardware throughout, screw in oil galley plugs, high-volume oil pump, high-volume water pump, ported heads with screw-in valve studs, competition valve job, new valves and springs, high-lift cam, new timing set, F4B intake, Holley carburetor, Jet Hot-coated OEM exhaust manifolds. Rebuilt ten years ago, but never run. Stored in plastic and hand cranked once per year. I borescoped the cylinders a couple of weeks ago, and they look pristine. All it needs is to have the carburetor rebuilt, and the distributor, plugs and wires put on, and it's ready to go. I have the original generator, too. Engine is not installed in the car, but on a rolling stand. Stand is included.

Transmission is HEH-B wide ratio top loader 4 speed. I just received this in trade for the HEH-E close ratio that was in my car. It came from a running car, and was represented as freshly rebuilt. I put the correct, green, speedo gear in it, and repainted it. Ready to install with engine.

Rear axle is a Salsbury rear axle from a Tiger. I don't know the ratio, or whether it is limited slip or not. Original drum brakes. Brakes work with handbrake. Rear axle is installed on car.

Front crossmember is from a Tiger. I replaced the front wheel studs and repacked the front bearings when I took delivery of the car. Front brakes are original. Crossmember is installed on car.

The interior is currently gutted, except for the front seats and dash. Seats are usable as is, but show some wear. Dash needs to be refinished. I also have the original interior panels, but they are loose.

Wiring is questionable. I had planned to buy a modern harness and redo the wiring from scratch.

I have a factory steel hard top. It is brown, and has some rust that needs attention. All of the glass is intact, but the plastic windows in the hardtop are crazed pretty badly.

I have all the other parts, either in boxes or in the trunk; radiator, cooling fan, front engine dress, coolant overflow tank, brake lines, fuel lines, some weatherstrip, etc. I also have an extra finned, aluminum oil pan for the engine, like LAT 4, but says Cobra instead of Tiger.

The car has a set of 13" aluminum wheels installed. I don't know if they were original or not. I will put new tires on it prior to sale, as current ones are rotted.

I bought the car in the early '90's for $6500 (was represented as "nearly running"), and have about that much more into it with the engine work and other parts. I know better than to think I can break even, but not sure what to ask. I tried to sell it once before, locally, but no one was interested unless I reassembled the car, first. I'll post up some pictures when I get a chance. Based on this, anyone have a ballpark idea what this is worth?

Thanks for looking
John.

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
Your goal

If it is to get your money out it seems parting out could be the way to go.

Cobrakidz and I have been going back and forth with a fella in Sacramento area who had a nearly complete car, with unknown body origin. While the trans turned out to be from a car last reported in South Africa, the rear end had a duplicate ledger entry car according to Mr. Miller. I will respect the privacy of both those parties and not throw out that number into cyberspace.

Having the history and numbers confirmed will help to tag the car for the future. Who knows maybe you can re unite a car with its transmission.

Being on the Left Coast makes it geographically un desireable for me but post on Tigers Alpines East and SAOC they love the Darkside.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Sounds like you are into this car almost $13k, seems like a lot of money for a non running clone (replica, Alger, etc....). Just my 2 cents worth but either lower the price, get it running or as Warren said part it out. Good luck and look forward to seeing the pics.

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
Car is titled as an Alpine. VIN plate is Alpine. I have not set the price, but was wondering what it's worth. I would be very surprised if I could get $13k for it, especially not running. But I couldn't sell it for $2k in 2002, and wasn't sure if it's worth any more than that now. If I do decide to sell, I am willing to separate the engine and transmission, and other loose parts. Not sure I have the constitution to part out the rest.

I've had a couple of PMs about the history of the car. It seems likely that someone used a complete Tiger drivetrain and other parts from the same car to build this one. It might be interesting to find out which car the parts came from. I bought the car from my brother-in-law (Mark Hiatt) in 1991 or so. He lived in Austin, TX at the time, and had had the car only a year or two. I think he bought the car from someone in TX, but I'm not sure on that. My BIL is deceased, so I can't ask. I do remember he was a member of a local car club that had other Tiger owners. I went to a club event, and got to drive a Tiger for the first time. When he decided to buy a real Tiger, I bought the Alpine from him.

All I thought it needed was some wiring and some interior work. It turned out to have a basket-case engine with mismatched pistons, and lots of other issues that needed correcting. Most if the hard work is done (I think), but I'm just burned out on it all.

Coincidentally, I totaled my Cobra last night, so I'm not really in a good emotional place right now. I don't want to make any rash decisions, but I'm certainly re-evaluating my need for a car hobby.

When I get a chance, I'll post some pictures and serial numbers. Thanks for the input.

Edit: My BIL was unaware of the hidden engine issues when he sold me the car. I did not mean to imply otherwise.

Regards,
John.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
John,

If it has a genuine tiger front end, rear end and tunnel along with some other tiger parts there are probably a few people thinking of conversions that should pay well over the $2K mark.. with motor and trans etc.. i would think its worth 6-7K easy of the body is good.

That said, as mentioned.. the car is probably worth more in parts in many ways.. the tiger specific parts would be worth a decent amount.. and if the body is straight and rust free someone may buy it to remove wings/clips.. or as a base for a project.

Hope your ok in regards to your accident.

Warren

Gold forum user
Posting numbers

Is a good idea. The project pre dates the BON and contacting keepers of the build ledgers will not be fruitful as they will simply add the trans number to their listing of parts without a vin, and at least one of them is a member here.

A key factor is how nice the paint is as it can be really expensive to do a complete these days.

Sorry to hear about the 98 Cobra good that you are OK

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
I want to start off by saying thank you to all who expressed concern for me. I was not significanly injured in the wreck. Nor was the elderly woman who hit me, thank God. That's really all that matters.

I've been busy dealing with aftermath of wreck, and other things, so haven't taken time to update this. I'll spare you the details, but the net result is three things:

1: Battling the insurance company for a fair reimbursement for the Cobra has been one of the most distasteful experiences of my entire life. I will never ever drive a highly-modified car with a standard insurance policy again.

2: I'm going to take the money from the insurance settlement and finish the Alpine. I said I lost motive to finish it, but I think not having the Cobra has left a void that the Alpine will fill nicely. If it fails in that regard, I can always sell it as a running car. But I need to finish it instead of quitting.

3: The Alpine will be insured through Hagerty or similar, with a guaranteed value in case of total loss. No more insurance BS.

So, I'm closing this thread, as I have no plans to sell the car any time soon. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Regards,
John.

Status
Not open for further replies.