Getting along with my disc brakes

PITT40

Gold forum user
I bought a spare rear for the 5 lug hubs and so I could mount the panard where it is supposed to be. That way the numbers matching one stays unmolested and tucked away for safe keeping, if i ever want to go back to stock.

So I figure I will make mods and drive it this summer, with it's patina since it's 1970 in storage. Then next fall, I will blow it apart and probably media blast and start from scratch with restoration. By then I will know if the mods that I have done will be going back on, or going in a different direction.

I will post a pic with wheels in the next few days. It looks odd seeing a Tiger with 5 lug spoked mags, but kinda cool at the same time. They are the wrong size, just rollers and stick out too far.

Last edited:

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Looks great!
I'm very interested in doing the some thing... What did your calipers come off of and what size rotors did you use?

I want to use the the daisy / coke bottle wheels but need to narrow the front track 1/2" as AR has very limited backspacing on the 6" wide wheel.

Well done! -Kevin

PITT40

Gold forum user
The fronts are '99 BMW 528i front rotors. The rear are '99 Land Rover Discovery rears. They are 12" diameter. The rears are like an 3/16 larger than front, but you can't tell. I did a lot of digging around the bone yard to find ones that had a large enough hat for the Brembos to clear the wheels. I could have used 13" in front but then 16" or larger wheels were mandatory and I wanted to use 15" wheels.

I used the front hubs from a '68 Mustang front brake drum. There is actually a steel hub pressed into the cast drum. The front bearing on a Sunbeam is the same as a Mustang. The Mustang rear bearing is larger. So I made steel spacers that fit on the spindle to accept the larger bearing and seal. You actually remove the Tiger back bearing race. It comes off if you a get chisel and whack it and work it off the spindle.

I think I narrowed the trace about 5/8" per side. I had to space the steering arm the width of a lock washer on the front bolt to keep it from rubbing the rotors. Then after making caliper brackets and using the stock holes, I made a spacer to exact width needed for the rear steering arm bolt (as it is shared with the stock caliper).

The wheels on the car 15 x 7 in front with 3.5" backspace. The rears are 15 x 8 with 3.5 backspace. If I get wheels with 4.5 backspace in front, I think 7" will work. In back I think I need 4" total backspace to make the 8" work. I don't want them too far out or too far in. The fronts are the problem. See the other angles for how they fit.

PITT40

Gold forum user
I'm thinking of trying this wheel from Cragar. It looks like a 65 Shelby wheel and also a 5 lug version of the LAT wheels. I'm torn between them and Cobra/GT40 Halibrand style wheels.

The Cragars also resemble the 289 FIA Cobra wheels, which I always liked too. I think the Cragars or Halibrands would look good with fake knockoffs on a Tiger.

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Opinions are like...

I'm thinking of trying this wheel from Cragar. It looks like a 65 Shelby wheel and also a 5 lug version of the LAT wheels. I'm torn between them and Cobra/GT40 Halibrand style wheels.

The Cragars also resemble the 289 FIA Cobra wheels, which I always liked too. I think the Cragars or Halibrands would look good with fake knockoffs on a Tiger.

........, but yours and mine match. Those cragars hit all points. Really, really like them.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
A friend put the Cragars on his Mustang, I love them. In fact that's what came stock on my GT350, they were long gone when I got the car though. :(

PITT40

Gold forum user
No. Front calipers are from a 2008 Porsche Boxster. Rears are from a 2005 Benz ML500.

Lots of mixing, fitting and matching up to make it work.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
No. Front calipers are from a 2008 Porsche Boxster. Rears are from a 2005 Benz ML500.

Lots of mixing, fitting and matching up to make it work.

Nice recipe!

I just wish our local pick-n-throw had high end inventory like that... I think I'll add those items to my eBay watch list!

Cheers! -Kevin

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Any updates?

Just wondering how you are progressing with this aspect of your project. I found some new 65-67 front drum hubs online for $75 and was wondering if they would work.
Cheers, -Kevin