Holley 650 Ultra HP

chirodoc

Gold forum user
HOLLY 650

DUKE IS RIGHT!
There is that super satisfaction of blowing some hot shot's doors off with your little furrin sports car. A good friend with his Cobra and I used to get our kicks by setting fast times at the local Corvette club events.
The show and shine guys never GET the adrenalin rush of passing a BOSS 302or a GT350 at 7000 rpm on the front straight at Elkhart Lake Road America. . Racing is more addictive than cocaine. Like Tim The Tool Man says "MORE POWER."
MORE POWER !

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Is there a 12 step plan for HP addiction?

Duke... Do you want to 'cure' it... or 'feed' it ?? :confused: lol

I would suggest buying rear tires in large quantities and regularly exercise that right foot while driving...:rolleyes:
May I also suggest repeating this mantra... " There is no substitute for cubic inches' over and over...

Jim:D

chirodoc

Gold forum user
Duke's quarter mile pass vidio

I see and live the point every time I get the ear to ear grin under full throttle. 99% of the other cars on the road get the point if they want to get froggy with me. Almost all other cars that line up with me at the drag strip get the point too.

Too much HP is almost enough. :D

Here is what a 347 sounds like -
http://youtu.be/z4Ejcr7-byU
http://youtu.be/5uW8p-7Pkr8

On your 1/4 mile video pass, you never got out of 3rd gear! A 2:73 might be good for gas mileage, but It'l kill your 60 foot times at the strip. Looks like another budget buster Mama for a 5 or 6 speed!

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Wide Ratio Cure

On your 1/4 mile video pass, you never got out of 3rd gear! A 2:73 might be good for gas mileage, but It'l kill your 60 foot times at the strip. Looks like another budget buster Mama for a 5 or 6 speed!

A wide ratio conversion ($$$) will cure that with much less cost than a tranny transplant. The torque of the 347 will over come the rest and/or any need for the additional optioned lower 1st gear . . . . .

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Wide Ratio

Chirodoc,

In my opinion Oneoffive is correct. A wide ratio transmission solves a plethora of problems in a Tiger. The factory knew what they were doing when they put a wide ratio tranny in the MKIIs. That's a 20% better hole shot over the 2.32 first gear in a close ratio setup.

As I have stated before, I converted my close ratio toploader to a wide ratio and put in David Kee's 2.90 first gear instead of the factory 2.78 first gear and kept my 2.88 rear end gears. Total conversion was ~$450 and I sold the close ratio gears on ebay for ~$250.

Next I am going to change my rear end to a 2.72 which will make my 2.90 first gear equivalent to a 2.74 first gear with 2.88s. The best of both worlds, acceleration and cruise, short of a five speed at a FRACTION of the cost.

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Is there a 12 step plan for HP addiction?

Duke,

There is a 12 step plan for HP addiction - buy 11 more Tigers!!!

BTW, who in Tigerdom owns the most Tigers? Should we start a survey?

Gary

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
I converted my close ratio toploader to a wide ratio and put in David Kee's 2.90 first gear instead of the factory 2.78 first gear and kept my 2.88 rear end gears. Total conversion was ~$450 and I sold the close ratio gears on ebay for ~$250.

Who did your conversion? If you, how about helpin a brother out? My tranny will be out next week.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
HEHE to HEHB/HEH-CF Conversions

Besides the normal tool box toys, a real good set of snap ring (HD) pliers and an 8-5/8" length of 1/2" pvc pipe are the only special items. Patience and a desire to get grease on your fingers helps. I get my top loader stuff from Dave Kee and his instruction sheets are very easy and specific. If you decide to farm out the job and the mech/tech does not know what the pvc pipe is for, walk away. . . . .

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Conversion

Duke,

I did it myself. It's really not that hard, especially for a guy like you. I just followed the manual. I've done 4 of them, since I did mine, all with the 2.90 first gear. There are a few tricks that make it a little smoother, ditto on the tube and the snap ring pliers.

Send me a PM and I will forward you my contacts for the gears. David Kee supplies the 2.90 first gear.

I also found a source for the fine (26) spline flange for the 2.72 pinion gear.

Gary