Installing window in hardtop

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I am about ready to install the plexiglass into the hardtop I have all the parts including the stainless trim and clips. I would appreciate any procedure tips. I think I read somewhere that you install the plexiglass into the rubber then put the trim into the rubber then install the whole unit into the hardtop opening ?

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have done that job one time. IIRC most of the tips regarding this job talk about doing it from the outside. I positioned the hard top in such a way on the ground that I could basically crawl underneath it and was able to get the rubber seal into the channel from the inside without the string that some people have used. All that was required was a plastic scraper to get the seal seated from underneath. Kirk

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
the easiest way to install the rear glass is thus... fit plexiglass into seal. put 20 ga insulated wire into the groove of the seal that the hardtop glass fits into (pinch weld). fit seal over bottom flange. have an assistant hold on to one end of the wire and then pull the other end toward yourself (from inside the top) while applying pressure to the window. the act of pulling the wire will pull the seal lip over pinch weld.

Warren

Gold forum user
"I think I read somewhere that you install the plexiglass into the rubber then put the trim into the rubber then install the whole unit into the hardtop opening"

I agree with this. It's the same way other period car's. If you've done a VW it's the same. Sean's method is great . I'd add the helper can thump the plexi with the palm of the hand.
A little sprayer with clean soapy water and be sure the headliner is glued down well. I don't remember if the little rectangular clips remain in place .

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Thanks for the feedback ! I have just finished installing the windshield and I must say it is not the easiest thing to do ! It turned out pretty good. Way too many pieces to it , trim rubber screws etc. labor costs I am sure would be more than having a one piece aluminum frame and having a rubber insert piece like the Jaguar s have

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Thanks for the feedback ! I have just finished installing the windshield and I must say it is not the easiest thing to do ! It turned out pretty good. Way too many pieces to it , trim rubber screws etc. labor costs I am sure would be more than having a one piece aluminum frame and having a rubber insert piece like the Jaguar s have
much easier to install the w/s glass with the frame off of the car!

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
BTW- the way I did it was for a one-man job...no assistant. Leaned on the glass from the outside, then went underneath to seat any areas that were hung up or didn't seat from outside pressure.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
BTW- the way I did it was for a one-man job...no assistant. Leaned on the glass from the outside, then went underneath to seat any areas that were hung up or didn't seat from outside pressure.
That was with the frame already installed ?